Main Menu

70 Challenger Conv. Restomod. 6.1 Hemi

Started by soundcontrol, January 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Only a guess, but I would think no thicker then 18 gauge and most likely 20 gauge.  I don't have any cars in bare metal right now so I can't get an accurate number.  And I use a lot of clear so I'm not the best guy to give out numbers.   :D

Can you measure some of your old pieces?  If you want I can find a repop piece and measure it, but not sure it means much because it's not original?   :notsure:

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 06, 2017, 12:28:36 PM
Can anyone tell me what thickess the stock pans has, floor, trunk, firewall, inner fenders. And does the outer body panels has the same thickness?

soundcontrol

I have been measuring some, I measure in metric, than I have to convert, "Gauge" is not used here. When I measure I get something slightly less then 19 gauge, (but the car is sandblasted). I have been using 1.2mm, that is slightly thinner than 18 gauge. I was concerned with the slight diference in thickness, read that I should use exactly the same thickness to prevent the pieces to shrink differently. I do have an AMD trunkfloor I can measure, did not think that far....thanks!

usraptor

Nice fabrications skills.  I'm jealous of people like you.   :bigthumb:

soundcontrol

Finally got the right side almost done with the inner fender brace, biggest time consuming thing was the little rust that had to be fixed before, and making a sliding nut for the hood hinge. I just tack welded the underside for now, I will weld that up when the car gets back in the rotisserie, since I suck at welding from under. Painted the inside of the brace and all the areas I cant get to later with 2K epoxy primer and a black top coat. Now on to the driver side!

Cuda Cody

70chall440

Mopar or no car!!!

soundcontrol

Gonna change the trunkfloor soon, have a 2 piece AMD, with extensions. Whats best, to keep the car on the rollers or do it in the rotisserie?

Cuda Cody

I like to do trunk and for that matter any metal replacement with the car on a jig or dollies that picks up frame rails and supports the body well.  That way the body is secure when replacing structurally metal.  The rotisserie can put stress in the middle of the car when you release body panels.  A truck would probably be fine, but if you have a good jig just use that.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: soundcontrol on February 19, 2017, 05:06:58 AM
Gonna change the trunkfloor soon, have a 2 piece AMD, with extensions. Whats best, to keep the car on the rollers or do it in the rotisserie?

soundcontrol

Starting on the drivers side, same rust spot, but a little less of it. Made the first patch. That little hole, in Pict 1, I cut it out in Pict 2, I assume is for the insulation, since I'm gonna use Dynamat or similar, I just didn't drill it again.

Cuda Cody

You should be proud.  You're really making sure very little piece of rust is gone!   :clapping:

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 20, 2017, 07:04:42 AM
You should be proud.  You're really making sure very little piece of rust is gone!   :clapping:

Don't like rust! Just the thought of what my framerails looks like inside is keeping me up at night.... 8)
I will get to the rear rails inside when I remove the trunk floor, and I'm gonna figure out a way to clean the fronts as good as I can, then I got many cans of Eastwood internal frame coating to apply

soundcontrol

Driver side rust fixed. I cheated a bit, didn't taper down that ridge as I did on the other side since I discovered that it was just in the way for the inner fender brace, fits better if I just keep it straight.

Roadman

Nice work Ken.    :ohyeah:           :woohoo:

soundcontrol

Almost done with the drivers side now, just gotta weld it up, first I gotta fix an exhaust system for the garage because the ventilation in there is bad and its small, when I weld for long the air gets extremely bad in there. Got the parts, (long vent pipe in the car, a hose and a big powerful fan), gonna build it tomorrow.

Not super happy with the fitment of the inner fender braces, can the cars really be so different that I have to ad 1/2" of material in places and grind off 1/2" in other places...?

Cuda Cody

:clapping:  Looks like you're making good progress each day.  Nicely done.

I think there was some pretty wide margins for error when they build cars back in the 70's.   :wrenching: