Main Menu

71 B5 Cuda 340 4 speed

Started by Shane Kelley, May 04, 2017, 10:09:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Are you doing the grill blue this time as it should be ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Love the photos and that venting idea.  I'm going to borrow that idea as I'm tired of getting a ton of paint in my eyes and trying to paint with a flashlight just to see through the fog. 

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on May 04, 2017, 12:14:24 PM
I have new reproduction grill that has already been done in Argent. My plan was to run it until I can get my original one all repaired and painted. I can see endless hours on the grill restoration. I actually thought this car came with a Argent grill. Not that it mattered to me.  What do you know that leads you to believe it came body color?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 04, 2017, 12:16:39 PM
Love the photos and that venting idea.  I'm going to borrow that idea as I'm tired of getting a ton of paint in my eyes and trying to paint with a flashlight just to see through the fog.
It works great. If you don't have a booth just hook it up to a squirrel cage fan. Visibility was perfect. No fog or dry paint to contend with. 12" flex duct.

Shane Kelley

more progress pics. Notice how I jammed in the cowl panel. Those are impossible to make slick while painting the outer cowl area. I always hate when those look dry and and nasty. Same for deck lid inner structure.

anlauto

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 04, 2017, 12:26:26 PM
I have new reproduction grill that has already been done in Argent. My plan was to run it until I can get my original one all repaired and painted. I can see endless hours on the grill restoration. I actually thought this car came with a Argent grill. Not that it mattered to me.  What do you know that leads you to believe it came body color?

ALL 1971 Cuda's that left the factory wearing B5 blue paint were SUPPOSED to get a colour-keyed cuda as a standard part of the "BS" Cuda package.  :brainiac:
However due to a shortage of painted grills at the factory, there is a period of time when they received argent grills to get them "out the door". Member @mccannix might have a better indication of the time frame of the shortage.  :clueless:

I think the grill should be blue regardless of the build date. Argent looks odd with the coloured-keyed bumper. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Shane Kelley

Quote from: anlauto on May 04, 2017, 12:40:50 PM
Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 04, 2017, 12:26:26 PM

ALL 1971 Cuda's that left the factory wearing B5 blue paint were SUPPOSED to get a colour-keyed cuda as a standard part of the "BS" Cuda package.  :brainiac:
However due to a shortage of painted grills at the factory, there is a period of time when they received argent grills to get them "out the door". Member @mccannix might have a better indication of the time frame of the shortage.  :clueless:

I think the grill should be blue regardless of the build date. Argent looks odd with the coloured-keyed bumper. :alan2cents:
It was probably blue then. It's a very early build. Oct of 1970. Should of had plenty of stock at that build date I would think. 

mccannix

January 1971 was when the tractor trailer carrying close to 200 colored grills was in the accident resulting in argent grill replacement in some 71 Cudas..
You'll have to buy Ola's '1971 Plymouth Cuda' book to get the 'rest of the story'.
I'm sure there were other contributing factors in the build of any of these cars during any period that could result in shortage/replacement issues.

76orangewagon

Awesome work, I hope when I restore mine this fall, it turns out as nice.

Husk Challenger

Great job for a great car!!

I love it!!

Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Shane Kelley

More progress pics

Shane Kelley

more pics of paint process

Shane Kelley

More paint pics

Shane Kelley

Color sand and buff

anlauto

Do you do all your own body and paint work ? If so.... :worship: WOW :wowzers: