Main Menu

71 Challenger Restomod

Started by MoparJunkie, September 13, 2017, 08:51:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparJunkie

I had a progress build going on CC, but figured since I transitioned over here I would post my build here, now that that more has finally been done.

Car History:

I bought my 71 Challenger L code (383 2bbl) in 2013 in the Tacoma, WA area (Past the narrows bridge) as a shell only. It was a factory GY9 (Dark Gold), hideous color in my opinion lol. My goals are to make a resto mod out of it for street/strip purposes (A few car shows too). While this project goes slower than I originally wanted it to, it is still moving in a forward direction, so I can't complain about that! Not to mention it is very fun, especially now that it's starting to look more like a car again, lol. Let me state that I'm new to muscle cars and I'm learning as I go, and I love it! All paint and body work credit goes to to my buddy Brian (He is also helping me with the overall build). I also have a rebuilt 727, a  b-body Dana 60 with 4.10 gears (needs rebuilt), TTI headers and various other things that I have collected over the years of owning it. I'm sure I'll be asking questions along the way for suggestions on my build so I appreciate the advice given.

2013 - Pictures of when I first bough the car

2014 - Tear down and sandblasting

2015 - Metal work and 440>500 stroker

2016 - More bodywork

2017 - Final Bodywork and Paint (Dodge 2014 High Octane Red)

More photos and progress to come! Sorry about some of the photos my buddies camera doesn't seem to have the best quality.

Cuda70-74

Nice things are coming along well with this project. I like the color
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Cuda Cody

Super cool!  Love the color.  Kinda reminds me of Rev's old Challenger.

Rev-It-Up

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 13, 2017, 10:17:56 PM

That was my first thought when I saw the color!

Glad you moved your thread over @MoparJunkie ! I'm looking forward to watching your build! Here's a pic of my old Chally so you can see the color.
Rev-It-Up

anlauto

Why are you painting right over the wiper motor and stuff like that ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparJunkie

Quote from: anlauto on September 14, 2017, 05:12:56 AM

It's my buddy doing the painting, not me. I'll have to ask him when I see the car in person. Keep in mind this is a budget build to some degree as well. We can't all afford shops like you Alan, lol.

MoparJunkie

Quote from: Rev-It-Up on September 14, 2017, 05:01:37 AM

Glad you moved your thread over @MoparJunkie ! I'm looking forward to watching your build! Here's a pic of my old Chally so you can see the color.

Thanks, I didn't want to move the build over until more work was done. It's been a busy year for me and my car has been side tracked more than I wanted it to be, but finally progress as fall approaches lol. Do you know the color of that chally? It does look quite a lot like my color. I'll try to get some pictures of my chally out in the sunlight when it's finished.

Rev-It-Up

Quote from: MoparJunkie on September 14, 2017, 07:04:08 AM
Quote from: Rev-It-Up on September 14, 2017, 05:01:37 AM

Thanks, I didn't want to move the build over until more work was done. It's been a busy year for me and my car has been side tracked more than I wanted it to be, but finally progress as fall approaches lol. Do you know the color of that chally? It does look quite a lot like my color. I'll try to get some pictures of my chally out in the sunlight when it's finished.

It was a BMW color called Calypso Red. 
Rev-It-Up

anlauto

Quote from: MoparJunkie on September 14, 2017, 06:55:03 AM
Quote from: anlauto on September 14, 2017, 05:12:56 AM

It's my buddy doing the painting, not me. I'll have to ask him when I see the car in person. Keep in mind this is a budget build to some degree as well. We can't all afford shops like you Alan, lol.

I can appreciate working on a budget  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparJunkie

So I have some questions if anyone wants to offer their advice, I would appreciate it (This is my first muscle car build, so bare with me, lol)

I'm at the point where I will need to start ordering some things here in the next 2-3 weeks or so, here is a list of things I need. Again feel free to comment on what brands, etc you like or recommend:

Engine/Drivetrain info:
440>500 (440 Source stroker kit)
Edelbrock ported heads and Performer RPM intake
Comp Cam Xtreme Energy Hi-Lift .564
B-body Dana 60 with 4.10 gears
Compression I was told will be right around 10.7-1

What I need so far:

Carburetor (What brand? and size?) I will be doing some 1/4 mile racing and street driving mix
Power steering box (Firm feel?) - I noticed that the stock power steering box is hitting my TTI headers, so I'll likely have to go with a manual steering box (ratio recommended?)
Alternator
Starter (High torque?)
Distributor and Distributor box (MSD/Mopar?)
Fuel Pump (If I can get away with it, a mechanical fuel pump is fine by me, so any recommendations?)
Air cleaner (likely a drop base one because the Performer RPM sits pretty high (R/T hood) 
Leaf Springs (I have the dr diff relocation kit, but I still have no clue what springs I want! Considering it will be a track/street car (NO HIGHWAY)
Water pump (Aluminum?)
26" radiator (Likely a 3-4 row?)
Wheels! (Any venders here sell wheels?) Looking for options for 15" wheels. I want 15x10 with 5.5" BS for the rear and likely a 15x7 for the front, I know 15s are scarce but I like them best
I also need little things like the hood bumpstops and hood pins
Good full bushing kit to buy? Polyurethane?

I'm sure there are people like @MoparDave who sell a good deal of what I need, just trying to figure out who is the best person to buy from and what is recommended to buy). I'm currently more focused on Suspension (front/rear) and misc engine parts needed).

Again, sorry if I'm confusing anyone with my wording (I'm learning the lingo as I go, lol)

Any questions please ask, and thanks for the comments in advance!

Roadman

I would recommend talking to @MoparDave  first. He will steer you in the right direction.   :rebelflag"

MoparJunkie

Anyone have any suggestions to my above questions? Maybe I should have posted my questions outside of my build thread?  :dunno:

nsmall

@Chryco Psycho knows a lot about engine parts.

@MoparDave worked with me and I'm hard to work with (long story). He will take care of you.

PST suspension has nice complete polygraphite kits.  At least I liked the one I bought. 

Buy your air cleaner from a local auto shop so you can test fit it.  Once you know what will fit then you can buy nice one if you want to.

Take your budget and if it's anything like mine double it and then add another 10k.  It's hard to imagine putting dirty or old looking Parts on a nice paint job so I just kept going and going but I am finally getting to the end here.  Only 30k overbudget and I tried to find good deals.   :Thud:

440 stroker, 410 rear end....become friends with a tire shop dealer.  Dang that sounds fun.

Do 440's with TTI headers need a mini starter?

That's all I got for you.  Have fun and don't overthink the budget.   It's just money.

MoparDave

Quote from: MoparJunkie on September 24, 2017, 05:13:32 PM
So I have some questions if anyone wants to offer their advice, I would appreciate it (This is my first muscle car build, so bare with me, lol)

I'm at the point where I will need to start ordering some things here in the next 2-3 weeks or so, here is a list of things I need. Again feel free to comment on what brands, etc you like or recommend:

Engine/Drivetrain info:
440>500 (440 Source stroker kit)
Edelbrock ported heads and Performer RPM intake
Comp Cam Xtreme Energy Hi-Lift .564
B-body Dana 60 with 4.10 gears
Compression I was told will be right around 10.7-1

What I need so far:

Carburetor (What brand? and size?) I will be doing some 1/4 mile racing and street driving mix
Power steering box (Firm feel?) - I noticed that the stock power steering box is hitting my TTI headers, so I'll likely have to go with a manual steering box (ratio recommended?)
Alternator
Starter (High torque?)
Distributor and Distributor box (MSD/Mopar?)
Fuel Pump (If I can get away with it, a mechanical fuel pump is fine by me, so any recommendations?)
Air cleaner (likely a drop base one because the Performer RPM sits pretty high (R/T hood) 
Leaf Springs (I have the dr diff relocation kit, but I still have no clue what springs I want! Considering it will be a track/street car (NO HIGHWAY)
Water pump (Aluminum?)
26" radiator (Likely a 3-4 row?)
Wheels! (Any venders here sell wheels?) Looking for options for 15" wheels. I want 15x10 with 5.5" BS for the rear and likely a 15x7 for the front, I know 15s are scarce but I like them best
I also need little things like the hood bumpstops and hood pins
Good full bushing kit to buy? Polyurethane?

I'm sure there are people like @MoparDave who sell a good deal of what I need, just trying to figure out who is the best person to buy from and what is recommended to buy). I'm currently more focused on Suspension (front/rear) and misc engine parts needed).

Again, sorry if I'm confusing anyone with my wording (I'm learning the lingo as I go, lol)

Any questions please ask, and thanks for the comments in advance!

Once you narrow down your parts selection . We can help with supplying them and or steer you. When if comes to specific performance parts to enhance. I am more of an OE guy and would rather you tell me what you want. That way your getting what you want not what someone suggested. Which breeds problems down the road with that uncertainty.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

303 Mopar

Quote from: MoparJunkie on September 24, 2017, 05:13:32 PM
Again feel free to comment on what brands, etc you like or recommend:

I listed all parts for my 505 stroker kit with a video of it running here. It pull like a freight train! - https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/505-stroker-parts-list/26/msg108#msg108

440>500 (440 Source stroker kit) - I would go 505 or 512 ci
Edelbrock ported heads and Performer RPM intake - I love the Street Dominator on my stroker, very streetable and @Chryco Psycho recommended
Comp Cam Xtreme Energy Hi-Lift .564 - I like the Lunati 60312 Hyd Roller .535/.550

Carburetor (What brand? and size?) - Proform 850.  I also added the Cool Carb spacer and it helped with vapor lock. http://www.coolcarb.com/order-products.html

Power steering box (Firm feel?) - Stock box should not hit if you have the right head TTI headers.  I have 1 7/8" that clear, so see if you can shim the motor mount.  I would recommend the FirmFeel Stage III box, world of difference in steering control and feel.

Alternator - Quality Power alt can handle anything you throw at it in the future http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_557/Chrysler-Mount-Mega-Amp-Alternator.htm

Starter (High torque?) - Mini starters work and fit well.

Distributor and Distributor box (MSD/Mopar?) - Firecore RTR distributor, coil and 8.5 mm wires.  http://www.manciniracing.com/search-results.html?catalog=chucker54&query=firecore&Submit=Search

Fuel Pump (If I can get away with it, a mechanical fuel pump is fine by me, so any recommendations?) - Mallory red electric pump and with a 7/8" main and 5/16" return. Run the lines up the firewall to the back of the block and flip the feed to the carb backwards to keep the fuel cool in the lines.. 

Air cleaner (likely a drop base one because the Performer RPM sits pretty high (R/T hood) - drop base is fine

Leaf Springs (I have the dr diff relocation kit, but I still have no clue what springs I want! Considering it will be a track/street car (NO HIGHWAY) - ESPO makes the best springs and you can pick the height you want.  I went +1" to fit bigger tires. http://www.springsnthings.com/

Water pump (Aluminum?) - Mancini high volume http://www.manciniracing.com/mabhealwapu1.html

26" radiator (Likely a 3-4 row?) - @MoparDave can get you a 4 row OER stock looking radiator. I would suggest running a the 6 blade 17" fan with thermal clutch and a shroud. The temp on my stroker never gets above 180.  http://www.manciniracing.com/maracofanblk.html