Main Menu

71 Cuda FE5 340

Started by 82firebird, September 18, 2017, 07:24:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

82firebird

There are basically 2 cars that I look at and just say "DANG!" One of them is the 71 Cuda. I love the fender gills, cheese grater grille, hood pins, and other "screaming" accents. We bought our first 71 Cuda about 4 years ago and have enjoyed it thoroughly. My wife is a car girl and also loves the 71's. So we went on a quest, to find her very own 71 Cuda. After alot of searching and looking, I made a post on the Ebody facebook page. One gentleman posted a picture of his and said "good luck, they are very hard to find!" When I showed my wife the picture of his car, she said, "that's the one!" I started talking with the guy and he told me he really had not thought about selling it, but he would give it some thought. He had quite a history with the car and even bought it back after selling it years ago. He said the only car he would want besides his Cuda was a 69/70 Mach 1. At one point, we met in the middle (we are 8 hours apart), I brought my 69 Mach 1 in hopes we could do a trade. We were close- but ultimately we just couldn't make anything work. We both understood and shook hands, going our separate ways. I told him if he ever wanted to sell the car, it would be going to a great home and would more specifically be my wife's car. I think he liked that because he called me a few months later and said he was ready to sell it and that if we were still interested, he wanted us to have it.

Here is the car the day he bought it.

Many of you probably have this book

2 weeks ago, we loaded up our 2 young boys and traveled west! The gentleman we bought the car from is a great guy who really loved this car. He was happy to know it was going to be enjoyed and cared for and not flipped as so many of these cars are. The car is an original 340/automatic FE5 red with white interior and white vinyl top. It needs just a little love, and we will eventually restore it correct but for now we will drive and enjoy it! It's like they say, happy wife, happy life!

The worst part on the body is the bubbling under the vinyl top. I am resisting having it replaced with the season winding down, so I just look the other way.  :D

I am a "detail" guy so I wasted no time buffing the paint. M105/M205 did wonders for removing the scratches and swirls.

Shane Kelley

Looks like a really nice one!  Those are few and far between.

303 Mopar

Congrats on a great Cuda!  What a great pair!   :banana: :bigthumb: :drinkingbud:

Cuda Cody

Great story!!!   :yes:  Super happy for you and your wife that you got the car.  You have 2 of the best looking muscle cars ever made.   :clapping:  Nice job finding that red one.   :perfect10:

RzeroB

Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

CudaMoparRay

"Dang" is exactly it---two '71 'Cudas Red and Blue---great story

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mickm

Congratulations on getting an awesome mate for your mate! Beautiful car....and I love the color!

Cheers!
Mickm

Plumcrazy72

Now no fighting over whos is better.........What a great looking pair of cars. Congrats
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

ec_co

great looking pair of '71s!!! you are a very lucky man in many respects, having a wife fully on board with the hobby is a huge  :ohyeah:  congrats on the new baby!  :drinkingbud:
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

RUNCHARGER

Nice: I really like it in that first shot.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 18, 2017, 05:31:17 PM

I agree...I like no billboards and magnums....something different from every other 71 Cuda. This car would look sweet put back to the broadcast sheet .... :drooling:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

82firebird

Quote from: anlauto on September 18, 2017, 05:58:40 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 18, 2017, 05:31:17 PM

I agree...I like no billboards and magnums....something different from every other 71 Cuda. This car would look sweet put back to the broadcast sheet .... :drooling:

When the time comes, that's exactly the direction we will be heading. White interior and top with the red would be pretty unique!

Cuda Cody

I'm a he billboard fan.   :yes:  It's so iconic.  :inlove:

nsmall

I hope I don't get in trouble.  How about a picture of that Mach 1?  Great story and great cars.  I need to convince my wife she wants a 70 road runner.