Main Menu

71 'Cuda restoration

Started by Tunis, March 28, 2017, 04:24:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Tunis

QuoteYou're a great addition to the site.  And congratulations on your new home.  How are you liking it?
Thank you kindly @Cuda Cody. We like it very much, although I must say I have been spending most of the time in garage..  :haha:

@Premix, I might take on more projects when this is done..

@71GranCoupe I'm glad if I can bring something back to all the forums that I look at for inspiration.

And again thank you all for your positive comments! It is really appreciated!

Per

JS29

Tunis

Time for an update. Trying to upload the photos to the website to save myself some clicks, let's see how that works out in the long run... Edit: this failed.. @Cuda Cody: Can I attach photos in the post and get them in the text? If so, how do I do that?

I haven't done that much these past weeks, but I did manage to get the trunk pan plus extensions fully welded in and the welds ground down.

Started working on the quarter panel.

Test fitting the tail panel.

Fitment to deck filler looks good.

soundcontrol

Nice job! I'm digging in to my trunk floor now, have a 2 piece.

Tunis

When I was satisfied, I started to weld the quarter to the roof.

And to the inner structure.

I didn't take enough time to test fit the quarter unfortunately and it was not exactly a perfect fit...

I don't mind cutting up old and rusted sheet metal, but starting to cut into a brand new panel is for me always a long mental process before I can begin. By that I don't mean long hours of planning, just the argumentation inside my head if I really need to do it or to just proceed without any change since I could be wrong. Heck it's a brand new panel, it should fit right?

I want to have perfect panel gaps on this car, so I knew was going to have to cut it up in the end anyway, so I cut it, as close to the flange where it bends around the door post. Then tacked it in place.

It now gapped up better to the door. Still not good enough, especially at the lower corner of the door.

Then fully welded it up.

Between these photos I cut up the quarter, where the lower corner of the door is, to better follow the door before grinding the welds down.

Continued to weld the quarter to the outer wheelhouse.

It is now fully welded to the doorpost, to the rocker and about halfway around the wheelhouse. I have one big problem that I couldn't get right though.. The quarter panel's profile don't match that of the rocker. I can position the door so the curve matches perfectly between the bottom of the door and rocker, but then the quarter is a few millimeters out of the door. I can also position the door so it follows the quarter panel, and if I do that, the quarter panel and door are a almost perfect match, but then the door is a few millimeters out of the rocker. Also the quarter panel is to far out on the rocker.

I guess I only know the problem and the only solution for it and that is to cut up the quarter panel where it is goes out too much, push it in and weld it up. But is there anything I could have missed? I really don't want to weld to much to these big sheet metal surfaces because I don't feel comfortable with heat control, grinding etc..

Appreciate any help!

Per

anlauto

Looking really good. Your attention to detail is overwhelming  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Tunis

Thank you kindly @anlauto! That means a lot coming from someone like you that really pays attention to detail!  :)

JS29

Vary good! I know what it takes to do what you have done there. I also know self proclaimed professional body men that did not do as good A job as I see in those pictures.  :twothumbsup:

Cuda Cody

@Tunis  very high quality work there my friend!  You attention to the finer details is impressive.   :worship:  Thanks for sharing all the photos.   :drinkingbud:

Tunis

Thank you guys for the fine praise! :worship: It's funny how the real professionals never have the need to tell others what they can do, they just do it... (I don't consider myself a professional at this, everything takes me forever to do). Cheers Cody!  :drinkingbud:

71GranCoupe

Keep up the great work and the descriptions as you go. It will definitely be a "go to" thread for me and others that will be doing the same.  :perfect10:

Tunis

Can anyone help me with the correct measurement for this? Basically the offset from the tail light panel to the edge of the quarter. Should it be the same all around?

Thank you!

Cuda Cody

Here you go @Tunis   It tapers in at the top.  Let me know if you need any more photos.  The yellow is original quarters on a 71 Cuda.

Tunis

:worship: Thank you @Cuda Cody That is perfect! I tried to bend mine out so it would follow around the quarter like it did on the old panel. But now it is all clear and makes so much more sence.

RUNCHARGER

Make sure you fit the window trim in, I think you need a bit of work where the roof transitions into the quarter in the rear window area. Fitting in the window trim at this point will make everything obvious.
Sheldon