Main Menu

74 Cuda resto Mod/Pro Touring Build.

Started by kjwalters, April 22, 2017, 05:23:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Wow, just ran across this thread!  You are moving right along and doing a top notch professional build that would easily rival any of those supposed restoration shops on TV!  Keep up the good work.

kjwalters

Quote from: usraptor on April 28, 2017, 07:30:10 AM
Wow, just ran across this thread!  You are moving right along and doing a top notch professional build that would easily rival any of those supposed restoration shops on TV!  Keep up the good work.

Thanks man I appreciate that!

kjwalters

Installed the master brake cylinder, booster and proportioning valve today. I also had a chance to run and secure the fuel line. Yesterday my friend stopped by and helped me install the Vintage A/C unit under the dash. Here re some pics.

Cuda Cody

Looks nice.  You're doing a great job.   :twothumbsup:

Cuda Cody

What's your thoughts on the Vintage A/C so far with the installation part of it?

kjwalters

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 28, 2017, 03:37:01 PM
What's your thoughts on the Vintage A/C so far with the installation part of it?

Well, what should have been an easy job was made difficult because Kim at MCB parts convinced me to purchases the non A/C Cuda version even though I had a factor a/C car.  The reasoning behind this was that the non a/c version came with extra parts I could use if needed for the same price. So I went with it. This made the install take about 2 hours longer than it should have.  The way Vintage Air packages these thing is ridiculous as well. Nothing seems to be package logically together. For eg, they tell you to oil the o-rings when you install the lines on the main unit with the "supplied oil". Problem is we could not find the oil....you would think it would be with the o-rings since these are the only things that need oiled....but nope. I ended up running to the auto parts place and picking some up....only later to find the tiny tube of oil in the bottom of the 2nd box which held the Evaporator.  The instruction are not great either, at least not what I was expecting form a leading US manufacture.  Little things like this make the install more difficult than it should be. Over all however, the  quality of the product is there. and I am sure it will work great.

kjwalters

Well, since I am using a 6.1 and wanted to use the fly by wire pedal I had to fab up a bracket that would work. I was told this would be a pain in the ass and I should just go with a cable setup, but that's not the way I wanted to go. So today I fab the mount, and it wasnt that difficult. I made it so the pedal was adjustable. Here are some pics.

Cuda Cody

Really nice job.  Looks professionally done.   :twothumbsup:

303 Mopar

Quote from: kjwalters on May 01, 2017, 01:53:26 PM
Well, since I am using a 6.1 and wanted to use the fly by wire pedal I had to fab up a bracket that would work. I was told this would be a pain in the ass and I should just go with a cable setup, but that's not the way I wanted to go. So today I fab the mount, and it wasnt that difficult. I made it so the pedal was adjustable. Here are some pics.

That pedal looks really nice!  We had a PITA getting mine in and bastardized a couple pedals together.

soundcontrol

You are really working fast! Getting things done. Nice job with the pedal bracket! Did you make your own cover for the fan hole in the firewall?
How are you run the lines to the 6.1 AC compressor? I see some people have them outside the inner fenders.

kjwalters

Quote from: soundcontrol on May 01, 2017, 05:54:40 PM
You are really working fast! Getting things done. Nice job with the pedal bracket! Did you make your own cover for the fan hole in the firewall?
How are you run the lines to the 6.1 AC compressor? I see some people have them outside the inner fenders.

Thank you. The car is coming along, I try to do something every day to move it forward. I did make the cover for the fan hole out of  piece T6 aluminum, same as all the block off plates on the firewall. I was considering running the lines through the wheel wells, but I think I am going to run them in the engine compartment for the sake of maintenance and accessibility. That may change but for now that's the plan.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Great build! Subscribed and following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

kjwalters

I know it's been a few weeks since my last update. The car is back in paint getting the clear redone and should be back by the end of the week and I will post some pics.

Cuda Cody

Looking forward to it.   :popcorn:

Quote from: kjwalters on May 17, 2017, 08:29:48 AM
I know it's been a few weeks since my last update. The car is back in paint getting the clear redone and should be back by the end of the week and I will post some pics.

kjwalters

Well, I havent forgot you guys on here. We have been having bad luck with the clear Urekem sent us; and with Juans mom getting sick. We have cleared the car 3 times and every time it comes out with a different gloss level or blotchy. It's been a test of patients and endurance. Juan finally decided to go with a different supplier for the satin clear and it seems to be the ticket. We finished shooting and clearing the chrome tirm black and it sheen is exactly what we wanted. Here are a couple pics.
Also I managed to install the new gauge bezel and ordered the custom speedup gauges. With any luck the car should come back to my shop tomorrow.
PS, I also FINALLY got the custom wheels from Bonspeed. They are nice, but I wouldn't deal with them again.