Main Menu

Brad's second '70 'Cuda and first and last restoration project

Started by usraptor, February 07, 2017, 05:17:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Not sure if the video will post, but after working on it since 2009, This is the first time my 'Cuda has moved under it's own power since 1983! I forgot what a beast it is to steer with no power steering at low speeds. Sorry about the stall. Been a while since I had to figure out the difference between first and reverse. LOL Exhaust sounds funny because all the clamps aren't tightened. That's why I'm moving it over to the lift.  Also, timing was way off in the video/   It sounds a lot better now.  :stayinlane:

https://youtu.be/MmXwXZ9z2Cg

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

nsmall

I'm so happy for you.  Paint looks laser straight.  Looks like you are almost "there" which always seems to take forever.

Cudajason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

Thanks for the vid. Always great to see and hear in action.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

usraptor

Santa came early to our house and brought some new shoes for the 'Cuda.  She'll be riding in style when she goes for her maiden run next Spring.  Thanks Santa. In this case Mrs. Santa.  :-)

15" Polished America Racing Torque Thrust wheels. 7" on the front and 8" on the back

Tires
255/60 Front
275/60 Rear

usraptor

Finally finished up the restoration of my OEM grille and headlight bezels.  Repaired numerous cracks, sanded, primered, and painted.  Restored the original "Plymouth" nameplate.  Bought and installed new red grille bars.  Also, spent hours filing, sanding and polishing the OEM grille SS surround pieces.  I'm still waiting for new grille spacers to arrive (they were back ordered  :pullinghair:) before I can install it.  The OEM lower filler panel was broken in half when I bought the car but the previous owner had purchased an NOS replacement that I also painted.  I have a question about installing it, but posted that in the body/exterior shop section. Based on Alan's warning about Plastex being brittle and cracking, I'll be super careful when I do install the grille and fasten to the header panel.  After all the time I've spent on fixing all the cracks, sanding, painting, etc. I'm going to be really upset if the grille cracks when I install it.  Anyway, here are some before and after pictures.

Paul97

Grille looks awesome.  I restored mine last year, and while I had less cracks than you, I understand the amount of time it took you to get it looking like that.   :bradsthumb:

Fingers crossed on now cracks during install!  Go slow and even.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

usraptor

After waiting a month to the day for my grille spacers to arrive I finally got to install my restored grille today.  And with the help of my lovely wife, I also got the front bumper mounted.  So far all the "Plastex" plastic repairs have held and not cracked.  We'll have to wait until Spring to see how they'll hold up to road vibrations.  I had to take the lower valance or air shield off to mount the bumper brackets.  Not entirely necessary, it just made it a lot easier.  I decided to wait until the "Air shield" trim piece mounting hardware arrives to remount it.  I decided that as long as it's off the car, it will be much easier to attach.  Anyway, the front of the 'Cuda is actually starting to look like a car again.  Now I just need to buy some new mounting brackets for my running lights.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

nsmall

Heck ya usraptor, looking good.  Getting so close, I bet you are getting real excited?

TelisSE440

Really nice car, i love the black color. Please post another video when you're done!   :bigthumb:

usraptor

After several failed attempts at painting the silver in my steering wheel cover, I tried Cody's "syringe" method and it definitely worked better but I still needed to touch it up in several places after I was done.  Installed it on the car today and while as not as nice as I would have liked, it'll do for now. 

Question. What holds the horn button tight against the cover?  Is there a spring between it and the horn mechanisms or is the mechanisms itself supposed to push it up because as seen, mine obviously isn't do it's job if it's supposed to.  :thinking:  :dunno:  I looked in the Service Manual but didn't see any break downs that showed this.