Main Menu

NorCal 73 Challenger

Started by 7212Mopar, November 12, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

I started a thread at C-C.com for my 73 Challenger back late 2012 and decided to continue my thread here instead. Link to the old thread:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=89646.0

I started with some minor freshen up of the interior and got snowball to way more than I anticipated. I finally reached a key milestone last week since I got the engine back from the builder a few months ago. I can see the possibility of getting the engine started in a few weeks. Today I hooked up the steering column to the Borgeson steering box. Unlike the stock box, the Borgeson  box sit in an angle toward the fender but it mate up with the column nicely. Turned it back and forth a few times and there is no binding. I can feel the resistance in the steering wheel even with the car up in the air, nice and tight. May be the gear box is dry but overall it feels good. However, there is a slight play from the center, about 2 to 3 degrees.

More work up ahead like putting back the drive shaft, exhaust, front brake and brake bleeding, alignment etc before turing the key. I think I better make a check list to make sure I don't miss anything. My memory is not like my younger days.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cuda Cody

:lookatthat:  Very nice work!!!  Super exciting time now.  You are almost running and then comes the  :burnout:

Chryco Psycho

Looks great  :twothumbsup:
Thanks for continuing the thread here too !
If the engine has not been run I have a start up guide in the archives section , I always leave the power steering disconnected os there is no need to shut down the engine during break in if there is a problem with the power steering .
Take your time & do everything 100% be fore you fire it , no hurry after this long !!

Topcat

Warren,

Looking forward to a get together Mopar Cruise.  :cheers:

nsmall

@Burdar you might like this one.

So is that JA5?  Love that color with the black.  I know, one part leads to another and another and another and it seems like there is no stopping. Looks like you almost "there". 

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

7212Mopar

Thanks for the heads up, CP. The engine was broken in and dyno tested at the shop and it has a roller cam. I do plan to crank it a few times before hooking up the coil.

Mike,  look forward to the cruise after spring. I try to keep up with your HEMI Cuda.

Yes, it is JA5 just like Darren's Challenger, a color I always wanted back in high school when I had a gold white top Challenger. I am blessed to have found this one. All original sheet metal and no rust.

nsmall

Just stole this of your cc thread...."Got news today that the engine is done. Builder said it runs strong, easy to start. Video sounds awesome. Dyno numbers came slightly under target at 491 HP and 528 TQ. I have no compliant and quite delighted to see this part done." :stayinlane:

Burdar

7212Mopar

I am very close starting the car. I still need to install the carb, fuel hook up and then put fuel in tank. The alignment and low exhaust issue can wait. So tonight I install the battery and turn the key just to crank it over. Nothing happen, total silent and i said what the heck. After a moment gathering my thoughts, I check my trans safety and backup wire and they are connected. Check all the voltage regulator and ecu connectors and they are fine. Then I think may be starter relay so i jump the relay and the starter cranked over. So may be a bad relay but it was fine before the car was taken apart. I then think may be I screw up when I remove the old car alarm but all I did was reconnect and splice the wires at the connector harness back together matching wire color. Everything seems to check out. Finally I moved the trans to neutral and the starter engage and turn the engine over nicely. The trans was rebuilt and I do have a new switch at the trans. What would cause the starter not to engage in park position?

I am glad that at least it turned over in neutral position. Too much excitement for me on a week night and still have to go to work in the morning. I am terrible with electrical.

RUNCHARGER

Your shift linkage is likely not adjusted properly. If it isn't fully going into Park the dog won't push in the safety switch enough to connect the switch.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Thanks. I also notice no back up light. Bad switch? I will take a look at the linkage. I did have to filp the linkage rod per TTI header installation instruction.

RUNCHARGER

It could be a bad switch as well.  Although maybe the backup light is coming on halfway between gears. Fairly easy to check with a test light to see where the current stops flowing.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 16, 2018, 09:23:46 PM
Your shift linkage is likely not adjusted properly. If it isn't fully going into Park the dog won't push in the safety switch enough to connect the switch.

Runcharger. You are right Sir. Thank You. :thankyou:

I adjusted the shifter linkage and now the engine crank over in park and in neutral positions. Backup light still does not work. I connected the two outer female sockets at the connector and the lights come on intermittently and I have to move the wire clip around. Sometimes the light will come on and as soon as I move the jumper wire a little, the light is off. It would not work if hook up to the safety switch. I think the wire inside the connector is most likely bad since the switch is new. Looks like I need a new wiring harness so I placed the order for one at YO. I don't want to fill the trans before getting this taken care of first. So close and no cigar. At least the mini starter sounds strong.

RUNCHARGER

Great: Now is the time to replace wiring if there are any issues. Also check your ground at the light/bumper as well. Fresh paint makes for bad grounds.
Sheldon