Main Menu

Saving a 71 340 vert

Started by MikeMikeMike, October 05, 2017, 05:03:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Roadman

No luck on that piece of weatherstrip yet Mike, but I never give up.  :rebelflag"  Lookin sweet.   :banana:

MikeMikeMike

'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

LinceCuda

Very nice work great car keep posting.

automate33

Brads70

Grill paint looks really nice!  :bigthumb:

MikeMikeMike

Thanks. Work goes on steadily. Not very exciting stuff but this past couple weeks I cleaned up the spare and the lug wrench. I decided not to paint either of them to preserve their original markings. I did paint the jack though. I also rebuilt the power steering pump which was oddly satisfying. Probably because the rebuild kit I got was actually correct and everything fit nice.

On the down side, I got word that another block failed the machinist's inspection :'(
Block 1: came with the car, non numbers, pitted along bell housing beyond repair.
Block 2: was a 318 so I sold it off. (also came with car)
Block 3: came with a transmission I'm using, dated a little late and .030 set aside as last ditch option
Block 4: I bought off eBay at more than I normally would pay but the guy was very exact about the cast date... guy was off by more than a year and .030 which I saw once it had already been freighted to me :pullinghair: so I traded it for...
Block 5: Nice cast date, standard bore... cracked along lifter galley. Fortunately the buddy that traded blocks with me had a couple more so we decided to bring both of the remaining ones in to be checked. Everyone think positive thoughts that these blocks will check out! I'm actually feeling worse for my friend that has been holding on to a block that have been cracked all this time. I'm praying he doesn't see the current two fail as well.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

Also, I am trying to figure out if I have a 318 driver side motor mount or a 340 one (seeing as both blocks came with this car) the 340 should be 1/4" narrower but I don't know the actual width that it should be. I no longer have the 318 block to compare but maybe an easier question to answer would be, should the mount fit snug against the 340 anchor point? or is it generally shimmed and if so, how much?

Also, this mount in question has a cut in it from someone's cut off wheel and goes about an inch through the middle. If I weld it up it should be fine right? Or are repairs not recommended to this area?

Thanks.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

Cuda Cody

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with the engine.  The rest of the car looks fantastic.  Here's a 318 340 engine mount / motor mount guide that might help identify them.

MikeMikeMike

Thanks @Cuda Cody wouldn't you know it but i looked around this morning to compare to your picture and now I can't find them! Well one of them anyway. Its around here somewhere.  :dunno:

Anyway while I was up in the loft I figured I'd take some pictures of how the '71 center caps differ between mopar and vin tique and then the mopar one against the gibson grill paint (can't  remember if they are supposed to be the same color but they sure look to be)...
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

Tunis

Great work Mike!  :ohyeah: I guess from your post in my restoration thread that you also contaminated your Cuda with subframe connectors?  :o

MikeMikeMike

Thanks @Tunis Yeah, @anlauto gave me some of the same. In truth though I'd love to have his strict dedication to factory original. :worship: I know in my heart its a better path for the long term if we are truly 'caretakers' of history. But that is sometimes at odds with my brain saying I want to love driving it. Anlauto has served me well though! Anytime I consider something else non oem I hear his voice in my ear steering me back on course! And I gotta say, I agree with him 99% of the time. I have much respect for the man. Actually at the moment I'm thinking of getting a set of 14" rallyes with polyglass and using the darker mopar center caps for that set to go back to a more stock look and keep the vintiques for my staggered repops.  :thinking: One set for show, one set for go...

Then I slap myself and re-focus on the fact that I'm missing more important things at the moment... like an engine.

Good news is my 4 speed is being shipped back to me all done from Brewers Performance tomorrow! Can't wait to unpack all my presents. Then I'll probably wait a week or so before looking at the credit card balance.

I should also know by tomorrow if either of those 340 blocks are candidates for a rebuild :fingerscrossed:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

Tunis

@MikeMikeMike I couldn't agree more with what you say! I have the most respect for @anlauto and his vast knowledge on these cars. As you put it, I want to drive my car when it is finally done and I know that it isn't the best choice sometimes, to walk away from the OEM stuff when it comes to the value of the car. But if those choices makes it a overall better car (to drive and enjoy that is) then I will deviate from that path.

If it would be a factory correct restoration then you shouldn't treat any of your panels with rust protection. Painting the underside of the car is a big no no, but it sure helps preserve that legacy (as we are only borrowing these cars from future generations) unless you want to do another restoration in 40 years or keep it in a warm garage at all times and never drive it. None of those options are attractive to me.

As long as it can be put back to factory original it's fine by me.

MikeMikeMike

Finally have a block that checks out and we are underway on that. J heads checked out as well. So finally some positive momentum on that front. Also got my 4 speed back from brewer's this week. Its hard to look at knowing I can't do much with it until the motor comes back. Plans are in the works to get the blackout organosol painted in the next few weeks as well as getting some help to put the top back on. So things are kind of motoring along. Maybe I can meet my kids deadline of driving it this summer?
:notsure:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

Quick question... on 71 cudas do the tail light cast surrounds get painted organisol just like the tail panel or are they a satin black? Thanks.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

anlauto

They should match the tail panel. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration