Main Menu

Suzanne build. 73 challenger.

Started by Alphasig112, September 13, 2017, 04:04:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Alphasig112

So I recently picked up another project to go with my many other projects. 73 Challenger that's going to get a big block and a 4 speed. Car is solid-ish since most of the rust has been stripped out and new metal welded in (wrong) throughout. Going to paint it sunburst orange and the best thing I can do right now is start this thread and start looking for parts and advice. Since most guys I know here in Indiana are GM guys I'll be the odd man out but Mopar is life so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadman

:welcome:. You came to the right place. You won't find more info and advice than here. Plus discounts from our sponsors .  Great to have you join us.     :woohoo:        :rebelflag"

Cuda Cody

Alphasig112

The other toys it is going to be competing with for time and money are. A 1967 Checker Marathon. A 1971 FJ-40. A 1978 D-150. A 1979 W-150 Power Wagon. A 1989 Suzuki Samurai. A 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 running on all 2500 series components. A 2000 Kia Sportage. A 2007 Impreza(wife's car). A 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins. A 2012 Jeep JKU. So it's going to be a slow build but this is the one in the garage so it is the focus and my dream car so I'm going to do it right.

Alphasig112

The first thing I'm looking to do with the Challenger is find a book or someone who knows what all the dimensions should be.

This car was way cut and very butchered by the owner prior to the one I got it from. Both of the last two owners lost interest or time.

Alphasig112

So if anyone wants to send me some advice I'm going to be looking for parts. Since its in such rough shape I won't be concerned about keeping it original. But some of the hard parts I haven't been able to find new are the header panel as I only have half of in and the tail light surrounds as I think both of mine are bent in a bad spot.

Alphasig112

A The missing half to my header panel.

Cuda Cody

Did they replace the frame rails?  Or are they original?  I have the Barracuda, but not sure I have the Challenger?   :thinking:

Cuda Cody

A quick google search found the specs right here on this site that @MoparDave  posted up.   :clapping:

Alphasig112

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 13, 2017, 04:32:43 PM
A quick google search found the specs right here on this site that @MoparDave  posted up.   :clapping:
Those are both amazing diagrams and exactly what I am looking for. The kid cut the rear frame rails out behind the shock mount cross member and welded replacements back in very poorly so the quarters are going to come back off and the trunk floor is not square so it'll be coming out since he put it in there in four pieces.

Then my plan is to take the rear trunk drops back out which should be easy once I have it all welded to a dolly and hopefully tig them back into their correct locations.

Burdar

The tail light housings were used for three years. They should be easy to find. I see multiple sets at every large show I go to. You should be able to get a pair for under $50. If someone is asking more...keep looking. Good luck with the project!

Alphasig112

Quote from: Burdar on September 13, 2017, 06:01:17 PM
The tail light housings were used for three years. They should be easy to find. I see multiple sets at every large show I go to. You should be able to get a pair for under $50. If someone is asking more...keep looking. Good luck with the project!

Thanks. What do you think about the header panel as far as cost? 

Burdar

Well, they were also used for three years. You would think there would be plenty of them out there. They seem to be harder to find in good shape though. Most will have damage. Expect to pay good money for an undamaged piece. I've seen them for sale but I don't remember any asking prices.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site  :drinkingbud:
Looks like a cool project !