Main Menu

Tav 1970 Road Runner RM23N0G217270

Started by cataclysm80, September 04, 2017, 04:24:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

Still October 2015

Here you can see how the rocker panel is bent from the crossmember forward.  It did bend the crossmember a little also.

It was really handy having another 70 Road Runner in the room to double check measurements, along with the Factory Service Manual info.  We used an original straight K frame to help position the new frame rail in the correct spot.  All the other black metal seen here is new from AMD.

Red 1970 Challenger T/A in the background.

cataclysm80

October 2015 Again

With the new metal in place, you can see how much the firewall was pushed in.

cataclysm80

November 2015

I found a good K frame and a passenger door at the Don Garlits show swap meet.  I still needed to find a driver's door.

With the new rocker panel, crossmember, kick panel, and front frame rail installed, we removed the rest of the metal that needed to be replaced.
I also got my first test drive, Flintstones style.

With the old metal out of the way, the new pieces were fit onto the car.

cataclysm80

Still November 2015

Fitting a quarter panel.

The cars in the background are the same 70 440-6 black on black Road Runner and a 71 440-6 red Road Runner as previously pictured.

cataclysm80

December 2015

The first picture here is the pile of bad metal that was removed from the car.

The lower cowl (rain pan) was blasted, primed, and painted body color to protect it from future corrosion and also so that you'd see body color if you ever looked down through the cowl vents.

Proceeding with fitting new metal.

cataclysm80

Still December 2015

Proceeding with fitting more of the exterior sheet metal.
It's starting to look like a car again.

A trip to visit family for the holidays results in a drivers door.
This drivers door is from a 1969 Road Runner, but it does have the arrow stamping in the door jamb that tells the assembly line workers were to install the new for 1970 door VIN sticker.  It must have been a very late built 1969 car to have a 1970 door.
(1968 doors have the inside lock button located in a different position.)
4 door car doors are not interchangeable with 2 door car doors.

cataclysm80

January 2016

Working on getting consistent panel gaps.

The filler panel had a small issue on the driver's side.  It was sticking up into the rear window opening just a little at the corner.  A small cut, tap it into place, and weld it up fixed it.

cataclysm80

February 2016

More work on the panel gaps, followed by turning the car over to work on the bottom, installing the 4 speed manual trans floor hump, and install the torque boxes, leaf spring reinforcements, & pinion snubber reinforcement.

cataclysm80

March 2016

Media blasting & block sanding

cataclysm80

April 2016

More block sanding
sorting through what's left of the parts to see if there's anything I still need to order/find
referencing the original parts to make sure I get the correct colors/patterns on interior parts.
sending the gauges off for restoration
documenting the engine & transmission numbers before installation

cataclysm80

May 2016

cataclysm80

June 2016

Picked up this solid 1970 Satellite for a parts car.  I wanted the nice trunk lid, and a few other things.  Maybe when I'm done with it, the guy up the road who wants to fix his 70 440 GTX will want what's left.

Also brought home this 1968 Dodge Charger.  It's Dark Turquoise with a white vinyl top, white interior, and white R/T bumblebee stripe.  440 four barrel with console shift auto trans and air conditioning.  This will get built someday.  I'm already gathering parts.  It's not road worthy at the moment, but it runs well enough to drive it around the yard or on and off a trailer.

cataclysm80

August 2016

seam sealing
sound deadening
painting the doors and the new trunk lid

cataclysm80

September 2016

had an issue with the heater core tubes.  They didn't come through the firewall at the same angle.  Bent them to shape, and had the local radiator shop resolder it.

Red 1969 Charger R/T on the left, Plum Crazy 1970 Road Runner center, Black 1970 Road Runner right

cataclysm80

October 2016

table of parts waiting to be installed

looking over the manual trans.  Looks like I'm going to need shift levers, linkages, shift mechanism with mounting bracket, shift handle with grips etc.  Also need lockout linkages that go to steering column.

Coded on the Fender Tag
Plum Crazy 1970 two door hardtop (no B pillar) Plymouth Road Runner with a 383 four barrel engine and console shifted 4 speed pistol grip manual trans.
Premium vinyl bucket seats in a white interior with black A pillars, dash, kick panels, carpet, & seat belts.
Scheduled Production Date of April 8th 1970 in St. Louis MO
Light package
3.55 Performance Axle Package with Max Cooling fan & 26 inch radiator
Remote control driver's side mirror
3 speed wipers
Rallye Dash (standard on Road Runner)
Stereo 8 Track Radio with 3 speaker dash
Performance Hood Stripe
Road Runner Dust Trail side stripes
Reflective White Road Runner tail panel stripe

Not coded on the tag, but would have been on the Broadcast Sheet
All glass factory tinted (which is a little odd for a non-air conditioned car)
Woodgrain steering wheel (desireable)
Power Steering
Day / Night rearview mirror
Carpet
Ashtrays in the rear armrests were standard
The Hardtop (23) armrest bases are chrome.  The Coupe (21) armrest bases were color keyed unless you paid extra for the A87 Road Runner Décor Group which was only available on the Coupe (21) cars.  This décor group got you chrome armrest bases, and several other upgrades which came standard on the Hardtop (23).

Factory Options being added to the car
Air Grabber Hood
Go-Wing Spoiler
Passenger Side Mirror
Hood Pins
Exhaust Tips
Extra Heavy Duty Suspension (Hemi Suspension)   (and then some)
I enjoy the 3 speaker dash, but the original 8 track was missing, so I'll use a reproduction 1970 Plymouth AM/FM with modern internals.
Power Front Disc Brakes (11.75 inch, so actually larger than factory)  The car originally had manual drum brakes on all four corners.
I'm going to run 15 inch Rallye wheels.  I've no idea what wheels the car originally had, but they were probably 14 inch.
High Capacity fan blade which pulls more air at all RPM.

Modifications
I'm going to run Pertronix electronic ignition inside the distributor.  I want electronic ignition, but these cars never had it, so it will remain mostly hidden inside the distributor.
The original antenna was also missing.  I'll use a power antenna with a stock bezel so that it looks close to original, but a car cover will be easy to use.
Radial Tires and improved suspension (details later in this thread)