black powder coated seat springs

The engine is still patiently waiting.

cataclysm80

January 2017

Brads70

Wow , lots of hours in this one. Great workmanship!  :clapping:

cataclysm80

March 2017

Time to make the engine a little more pretty.

Painting, Sanding...

cataclysm80

Still March 2017

More painting, sanding, and close ups of the lower radiator support reinforcement, followed by masking to paint the underside.

cataclysm80

April 2017

cataclysm80

Still April 2017

Yes, the bottom of the car was also sanded like the top and painted Plum Crazy before being very neatly undercoated.
I know this isn't quite the (sloppy) way that the factory did things.  I guess that makes this car a touch over restored. 
I certainly have an appreciation for the factory primer bottoms with body color overspray, but on a car that's going to be regularly driven, I like undercoating for a variety of reasons.

That's a Firm Feel Stage 3 power steering box being installed.
Stage 3 is the least assisted power steering box, for a more firm steering wheel.  It requires slightly more effort to turn than the factory steering box, which most people would say is a good thing.  Chrysler factory power steering was over assisted, making it easy to overcorrect in a turn.

Steering firmness is also affected by front tire width (scrub), and steering wheel diameter (leverage).
It would also be affected by a fast ratio pitman arm (leverage).

Stage 3 is nowhere near being overly firm in my 70 'Cuda, and I expect it to perform nicely in this 70 Road Runner also.

cataclysm80

April 2017 again

Had some more parts powdercoated in black.

Tracked down a High Capacity fan blade.  These are kind of hard to find, probably something to do with them being used on Superbirds.
There are 5 levels of Mopar cooling
1. Standard Cooling
2. Air Conditioning (bigger radiator with shroud, different water pump impeller, bigger fan blade & thermal drive with 2 rpm limits)
3. High Capacity Fan (pulls more air at all RPM, no RPM limit like thermal drive or torque drive)
4. Max Cooling (biggest radiator with shroud, air conditioner sized fan blade but with torque drive that has 1 rpm limit)
5. Trailer Towing (this is the Max Cooling radiator with the High Capacity Fan)

Ordered a 2998956 Max Cooling radiator from Glen Ray Radiators.

Tracked down a correct carburetor core and sent it to Harms Automotive for restoration.  Scott Smith does Amazing work!

I've attached a list of the four barrel carburetors used on 1970 383 engines. (click on it or download it, and you'll be able to read it better)
It includes CFM ratings for the Carter carbs (difficult to find CFM ratings for those)
It also includes the correct Choke part number for each carb, correcting two typos in the parts book, and a note about superceded part numbers.
Scott told me that having the correct carb list # (R-4???A) isn't critical for proper function.  The differences are minor, and he can build any Holley 4160 so that it will work like one of the other list numbers.
I ended up getting the correct carb list # for my car, but having Scott build it to work like an Air Grabber carb, since I added the Air Grabber Hood.

Cuda Cody

This is soooo impressive to see and very motivating.   :bravo:  Nice job man.

cuda hunter

Very impressive. 

I find it just incredible to strip a car down to that few bones and put it all back together again.     

Beautiful car !!  Can't wait for more......
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

MoparDave

Great Job on this Bird.

looks similar to what I had built a few years ago.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Shane Kelley

Looking real good. Excellent workmanship and attention to detail.

cataclysm80

Wow, that's a real nice car @MoparDave  !  Very similar to this one.

fc7cuda

Quote from: cataclysm80 on September 06, 2017, 07:07:17 PM

There are 5 levels of Mopar cooling
1. Standard Cooling
2. Air Conditioning (bigger radiator with shroud, different water pump impeller, bigger fan blade & thermal drive with 2 rpm limits)
3. High Capacity Fan (pulls more air at all RPM, no RPM limit like thermal drive or torque drive)
4. Max Cooling (biggest radiator with shroud, air conditioner sized fan blade but with torque drive that has 1 rpm limit)
5. Trailer Towing (this is the Max Cooling radiator with the High Capacity Fan)

What is the part# on the fan you ended up using?

RUNCHARGER

Great thread, nice work! It makes me feel like looking for another car to do again.
Sheldon