Main Menu

1970 Challenger rear bumperette brackets

Started by broughj, July 25, 2021, 06:07:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

broughj

I have two sets of L-shaped rear bumperette mounting brackets that were in boxes with my Challenger.  They are both stamped with 2962361 and 94522.  However they are different thickness material and the mounting holes in the thinner ones are much larger.  Other than that the dimensions appear the same.  Looks like either will fit on the frame.  Don't have the bumper on so not sure how they will fit to the bumperette.  The adapters (according to the parts book that is what MOPAR calls them) that go with each set are also different.  With the thick set the long rectangular adapters are stamped 2962363 and 64819.  There are 4 square adapters with the thin set of brackets that do not have part numbers on them.  Two of the 4 have a corner bent a little.   Anyone know which, if any, of these are the correct parts for my 1970 Challenger?

Thanks,

John Brough

Floyd

Top picture is identical to what's on my 70 Challenger.  The L-shape heavy duty brackets mount to the underside of the frame rail (2 bolts each).  The smaller square bracket serves as a washer and helps spread the load when bolting the bumperette to the bumper.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

broughj

I was surprised that although both of the bumper brackets are stamped with the same part number and a pentastar, they are significantly different in design.  The thin brackets are pitted in the area that was past the end of the frame rail, so they were on a car for some time.  The part number for the adapter is supposed to be 2962362 according to the parts book reference 13-68-20.  The rectangular adapter is stamped with 2962363.  The square adapters are not stamped.  Are they maybe 2962362?  Guess it is possible that this is another early vs late design change.  Since I have what I need to mount the bumperettes, just an academic interest at this point.  Thanks for the help and insight.

John

BillyB

Does anybody know of a source for just the 2962362 rear guard adapters? Does anybody put them back on? I have only found them as part of a kit offered from AMD. They are currently not in stock nor do it need the L brackets included in the kit.