Main Menu

1970 Cuda and Challenger Small Rear Valance Reinforcement Brackets

Started by kent_goins, February 22, 2017, 12:17:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

Is anyone aware of the small reinforcement brackets possibly installed on Cudas and Challengers in 1970. I have attached a pic from the factory assembly manual and what I believe to be a pic of the bracket. Apparently they were different and not interchangeable for Cudas and Challengers in 70.

KG

anlauto

That would have to be extremely early production 1970 only...I've never seen anything like that in my 32 years of restoring E Bodies. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Rev-It-Up

My 70 Challenger did not have that Bracket. Interesting 🤔
Rev-It-Up

kent_goins

my restoration guy has them on his and a few...very few have them. There are mounting holes for these as well on my car and I think you will find them on your challengers as well. I have crawled under several challengers and seen the mount holes per the drawing above. But I to, have never seen them installed. Also talked to a guy that had the brackets for cuda and challenger but didn't want to sell them. Check your cars in the area shown in the assembly drawing for mounting holes under the valance. They are towards the outside of the car from centerline.

My guess is early year 70 Monday morning meeting with engineering and they decided the brackets were not necessary for strength so cut the cost.

kent_goins

71GranCoupe

What is the SPD and the month of manufacture from the door tag? I have a Challenger with SPD of  802,and with a 9-69 on the door tag, and it does not have them. :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Remember we're dealing with two plants in 1970 too.  Could be one was late to get the notice not to use them?   :notsure:

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on February 22, 2017, 03:13:15 PM
What is the SPD and the month of manufacture from the door tag? I have a Challenger with SPD of  802,and with a 9-69 on the door tag, and it does not have them. :notsure:

cataclysm80

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on February 22, 2017, 03:13:15 PM

That surprises me, I figured that you'd have them.

I have them.  August 26th 1969 SPD.  I knew they were 70 only, but hadn't realized they were rare.
My June built 'Cuda did not have them, but hey it's a 'Cuda instead of a Challenger.

Did Barracudas ever get these little brackets?

The one in your photo is missing it's square nut insert.

Here's a few photo's that I took during disassembly so that I'd know which way to put them back on.
Also included a pic of the other bigger 70 Challenger valance brackets.

Pretty sure that someone asked about how to install these on Moparts in years past, and I made this last picture to help him out, along with anyone else who needed to know.  Here you go.
His car was also a 70 Challenger, and he had pics of them because he didn't know what to call them, but I may not have saved his pics.

anlauto

Man, that would be over kill to secure the valance for sure. I can see why they were discontinued  :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ec_co

must be a Challenger only thing, or if they did do it on Barracudas it was not done at the LA plant. my early LA build Barracuda (8/69, 1st few hundred off the line) does not have them, nor does it have the holes provisioned for mounting them.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

kent_goins

MoparDave

as Alan mentioned over kill. they were probably omitted shortly after production started. I have seen or heard of these let alone asked for them.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

72fury

My august 69 challenger has those brackets. My understanding was that they execs decided to get rid of those extra brackets due to the fact it wasnt cost efective because it took too long to line them up for propper fit of the valance. They were deleted from the production line mid september.