Main Menu

1970 Challenger vinyl top lower trim issue

Started by facair55, June 26, 2024, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

facair55

Just ordered a lower vinyl top molding (original) set to replace my existing set that has a gap at the corners. Most pictures I've seen show just a small gap, not sure why my car has a larger gap? The set that I received was advertise for a 70 challenger with vinyl top. As the pictures show, the gap is gone, but trim I received the radius is different, could it be for an SE top? Maybe aftermarket may be my only solution.

Thanks for any help that can be share on this.   

71GranCoupe

Here are a couple pictures of an early built LA survivor with nothing ever done to the vinyl top or trim for your reference.

mtull

For reference: 1970 Challenger

facair55

Thanks for the pictures, it does appear to go on a SE car

tparker

I'm  no expert,  but I redid my vinyl  top after replacing the roof.  I had to redrill some holes and was concerned about the placement.  I  checked out a lot of trim and it seems to me that  there was a lot of variation from car to car. This may or may not have anything to do with how they came from the factory,  but the ones I have seen do vary. I wouldn't  say a lot, but there are some with very little gap and others with a bit more. I feel I kind of messed mine up a bit and am not totally happy. I'll see if I can dig up some photos I took and post them

tparker

Here are some vids  I pulled up. The crappy Yellow car is mine and the vinyl  was replaced so  I can't verify it is  accurate. The others are  poor photos but are some I took pics of  and others are from the net. It seems these all  have very small gaps between the two  pieces of trim. But I have seen several with more gap, I just  don't know  where those photos are. Sorry for the crappy pics. I also  included a couple  that don't have the lower trim just so you can compare. The one from the window seems that it would have less variance. The other depends on how high or low  it is attached.

tparker

and one more

EV2RTSE

Easiest way to tell them apart is the width - SE vinyl trim is 3/4" wide and the regular is 5/8"

facair55