Main Menu

1971 front fenders on 1973 Cuda

Started by kjh, January 06, 2022, 10:47:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kjh

I'm new to the Mopar E Body forum. I just bought a 1973 340 Cuda and doing a resto-mod rotisserie restoration on it. This is my first Mopar to restore. My 1973 Cuda needs new front fenders and rear quarter panels. Will 1971 Front fenders and Rear Quarters fit?

Crocha617

Yes. The 71 fenders have a different mounting area for the headlights that's set up for a 71 headlight assembly and grille. I've never tried to mount a 72-74 grille and headlights to a 71 fender not sure how that would work out. If you go full 71 it is an expensive process... New grill, headlight assemblies, different header panel, crazy hard to find hood latch, valance, valance inserts, light wiring harness, expensive marker lights, taillights... probably a few more things but it might be worth it I love 71's....

anlauto

Yes, the fenders and quarters are a direct fit, but you'll have to add all the 71 front headlight stuff too as mentioned....I have a 73 resto-mod I will be converting as well...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kjh

Thanks so much for the information. I will proceed with purchase the the 71 fenders and quarter panels. I was planning on the 71 grill, headlights and markers and all the expense going into this project. I didn't know of the hood latch issue though. Will need more information on it. Can I modify my 73 latch to fit?

I jumped into this project with both feet, I have already bought a Hellcat engine and 6 speed transmission crate set-up from Cleveland Parts and performance (delivered) and Schwartz Performance Chassis being built now with anticipated delivery in March.

Another big challenge is to use instrument gauges & U-Connect for the 2016 Challenger Hell Cat from Cleveland P&P with a semi-custom interior. I also have the Transmission Tunnel and Console out of the 2016 Hellcat.

cudamadd

Sounds like a great project mopar expensive no matter which way you go  :cheers:

anlauto

Yea that does sound like a major build for sure... A 71 hood release lever will be the least of your worries...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

jujuka

Really glad I saw this thread. So I assume you would have the same issues with a 70 to 71 grill? I found a 70 vert that I want to restore to a 71 and just started a body restoration line item so I can get some realistic (somewhat) pricing. really want the 71 but it may not be cost effective.
restore it to a 10 drive down to a 6

anlauto

Quote from: jujuka on January 14, 2022, 08:02:48 AM
Really glad I saw this thread. So I assume you would have the same issues with a 70 to 71 grill? I found a 70 vert that I want to restore to a 71 and just started a body restoration line item so I can get some realistic (somewhat) pricing. really want the 71 but it may not be cost effective.

The 71 Cuda convertible I'm currently restoring has 1970 front fenders that have been converted to 1971 using the pieces from PG Classic, both the louver section and headlight section. Up front the header panel and lower front valance would have to be swapped out as well.

nsmall

Sounds like a very custom car.  Make sure you are building it to keep it as they get expensive fast and not every one likes what you like if you end up selling it.  Good luck and have fun roasting your tires.

392 Cuda

@kjh / @anlauto , how did the header panels differ for your 71 swaps?

I'm gearing up to swap my 74 392-8speed to a 71 style after some panels were recently damaged in an accident.

The car couldn't be further from stock, so I don't need it to look correct behind the grill. I will probably add a cover to the top anyway, and the 74 hood latch/release seems to work fine for the shaker hood.

It looks like the 70 AMD panel comes with the lower piece and supports inbetween, but the 71 and 72-74 versions do not... I'm wondering if I can re-use these from the 74. I think I have all the other pieces needed (and no, it wasn't cheap. haha!)

https://www.autometaldirect.com/body-components-header-panels-header-panel-70-barracuda-p-191.html

https://www.autometaldirect.com/body-components-header-panels-header-panel-71-barracuda-p-192.html

https://www.autometaldirect.com/body-components-header-panels-header-panel-72-74-barracuda-p-193.html

anlauto

What grill do you plan on using ?

The lower section of the 1970 "only" header that you pointed out is NOT on the 71-74 headers because the "filler" is molded into the 71 and 72-74 grills. Compare pictures of a 70 grill to the others and you'll see what I mean.

The year grill dictates the header panel needed :alan2cents:

There are slight differences between the 71 header and 72-74 headers, but it won't really interfere with the grill mounting. You won't be able to line up 4 out of 5 of the upper screws if you plan to use factory hardware, you can get it done with plain nuts/bolts/washers...

If you're buying a new header, might as well buy the one that matches whatever grill you use :alan2cents:

392 Cuda

@anlauto to the rescue again. Thank you!

I'm using a 71 grill and will go with the 71 header.

I'll let you know how it works out.

kjh

KJH Here: Unfortunately, my front fenders have been on back order from AMD since March. I bought and received the header panel. I have used time to replace firewall, cowl, floor pans, passenger rocker panel and new door skins. I was slowed down a bit by the hot South Texas summer this year (brutal). Even my AC shop was uncomfortable. I'm back on track with cooler weather and hopefully have fenders arrive someday soon. Also shaker hood on back order. Still have trunk area to work on as pans there need replacing.