Main Menu

440 Magnum Hood Emblem holes

Started by Odin, August 25, 2020, 10:18:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Odin

I have a 70 bulge hood on my 71 Challenger. Body and paint are done. I have two reproduction "440 MAGNUM" emblems for the hood. My hood has no holes for the emblems. I wanted stick on emblems but couldn't find any. I installed under hood insulation so I don't have access under the emblem mounting location. I've replaced the insulation twice so far. I don't want to do it again due to the difficulty and cost of the parts and hardware to do it again.

Can someone provide pics and measurements for the mounting holes on each side? Which barrel nuts or nylon fittings are best for installing the emblems from the outside only? If not, does someone make a sticking version of the emblem?

dodj

If you want to, you could make the emblems with pins into adhesive ones. Grind off the pins and use an aggressive two sided tape along with careful trimming with an xacto knife?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Floyd

headejm

The barrel nuts are readily available on eBay. The size I used is 1/8" stud for 5/32" hole. Measure the stud on the hood emblems to make sure they are 1/8 " diameter. I contacted the eBay seller and asked if they would supply just 4 of the barrel nuts and they agreed. Below is an example and not who I ordered from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-pcs-script-name-plate-emblem-nuts-tubular-barrel-1-8-stud-5-32-hole-Ford-/192362704174?hash=item2cc9b5ed2e

Here is my emblem measurements on the hood. I don't have measurements for just the holes. Good luck!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

Mine is a 440 from the factory and they're currently off...hold tight and I'll measure, mark and post pics. Headed for the shop now. If I forget, text me or kick me.   :bigthumb:
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

I shot mine from a different aspect given by @headejm just for another reference. Mine should be factory and has the factory 440 magnum badges. I measured from a point as shown at 5" across the cowl on the passenger side. Hope this helps.

7E-Bodies

Sorry, for some reason I couldn't post both pics on the same attempt.

7E-Bodies

And 5-7/8 inches up (both holes) from hood edge using my wife's stolen fabric measure for flexibility (shhhhhh!). This should give you the ammo to make a template.

7E-Bodies

And both holes are drilled at 0.185 inches. (3/16)

Odin

Quote from: dodj on August 26, 2020, 04:08:20 AM
If you want to, you could make the emblems with pins into adhesive ones. Grind off the pins and use an aggressive two sided tape along with careful trimming with an xacto knife?
I may try this but the trimming would be pretty delicate. Not sure I have the skill or patience.

Odin

Quote from: anlauto on August 26, 2020, 09:52:41 AM
Quote from: Floyd on August 26, 2020, 05:32:54 AM
No help from me on the measurements, but I think these might work for fasteners

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-1-16-emblem-script-name-plate-letter-barrel-tubular-nuts-NORS-for-Dodge/143098225059

Isn't there plastic ones of these already on the new emblems ?

These I bought from Year One came only with speed nuts, no nylon or barrel nuts.

Yeya93

Hello fellas, sorry to hop on this post, but was anyone able to confirm the measurements for the 440 emblem. I'm in the process of making the holes on my hood. I kinda mocked where the emblem would be placed according to 7e-bodies measurements (thank you for taking the time in making those measurements).  but according to the 383 magnum emblem picture in this post, it is placed about 5 inches or so from the hood insert, and mine is marked around 8 inches. I don't wanna create a hole where not necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Odin

@yeya93, I gathered the measurements to the edges of the 440 Magnum emblem on a 70/71 R/T bulge hood then cut the pins off and used 3M emblem tape to stick them on. It was a long delicate process cutting and trimming the tape but well worth it not to drill the hood.  I'm sorry I can't help with your measurements though since I don't have a good reference.

7E-Bodies

@Yeya93 scroll up to my F8 colored (dark green) hood pics above. I spelled it all out.