Main Menu

70 Challenger Cowl Blackout

Started by schlett7nu1, January 26, 2021, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

I've got a 70 Challenger vert survivor car.  It was built early May 1970. There is no evidence of the cowl ever having been blacked out. According to Dave Wise' book some late built 70 cars didn't get the cowl blackout. Also, he indicates cars painted B7 and TX9 didn't get blackout. My car is a bit odd in that it's a special order 999 paint code EA4 Silver. Can anyone confirm a 70 cutoff point for cowl blackout or if other paint colors didn't get blackout?  Dave also indicates that 71 cars didn't receive this treatment. I've begun planning a future resto and likely won't blackout the cowl.

Skdmark

FWIW, F8 was on the list with TX9 and B7 for no radiator yoke blackout in the assembly drawings.
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised either way given your car was a 999 special order paint vehicle.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

headejm

My SPD 508 1970 Challenger R/T SE FC7 Hamtramck did not have cowl blackout. Do a search on this site for additional discussions. I don't believe there are any firm rules on cowl blackout.  :alan2cents:

schlett7nu1

Thanks. I suspected there may not be firm rules.  I'll inspect the radiator support front in detail for blackout evidence. The car was dealer Z-Barted (Ultra-Guard) for $60. Its listed on the invoice. There are areas underneath where its 1/4" thick. The original owner told me he threw the kid who applied it an extra $5 to do a good job. The original owner never drove the car in Erie, PA winters. It'll be fun removing it.

tparker

I think the black out goes great with some color combos and in other cases the body color is better. I love my black out as it continues the black contrast with the vinyl top, interior, tires, and some trim against the banana  :banana: yellow paint.

I would be surprised if there were no rules. If I am managing a facility, I have to account for stuff like that. How much Black paint to order or how much body paint to order. Perhaps they adjusted if they were low on one paint or the other they could substitute. But it seems too willy nilly to not have a guide on what to paint stuff.

EV2RTSE

It was due to be phased out by 4/27/70 based on this engineering drawing, were there cars built later with the blackout?  :dunno:

But there are examples of late March & early April built cars that didn't get it either, colors that should have / would have gotten it if built earlier in the year.

headejm

@schlett7nu1 You "can" black out the cowl.  Your choice except for the listed colors. You "should" black out the radiator support, again for all colors except listed on the Chrysler engineering drawing.

https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Black_Out_Front_End.pdf

schlett7nu1

I tend to agree with you regarding blackout on the radiator support. Unfortunately, the entire front of my radiator support was covered with Z-Bart.

cudaragtop

My F8 70 Cuda 340 convertible didn't have a blacked out cowl or core support...

I'm not sure the guy with the "Spray the cowl black" job always followed the tech bulletin guidance...
This picture of an F8 70 Cuda 340 Convertible is not mine but it is blacked out.
Can't say whether it's original or not but looks like how they would have done it from the factory.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

70/6chall

My '70 Challenger has an SPD of 818 built on the first day of volume production. The car came from the factory in K2 Go-Mango and has the cowl and radiator support black out paint. So obviously the very early cars had this treatment.  Thanks,   Al

schlett7nu1

I was able to find a small area on the radiator support that is free of Z-Bart. There is clear evidence of blackout. My final judgement is that the Cowl was not blacked out and the radiator support was. Car was built May 1970. 

71383bee

Quote from: 70/6chall on January 26, 2021, 06:58:46 PM
My '70 Challenger has an SPD of 818 built on the first day of volume production. The car came from the factory in K2 Go-Mango and has the cowl and radiator support black out paint. So obviously the very early cars had this treatment.  Thanks,   Al

Mine Too.  K5 with an SPD of 823. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top