Main Menu

70 challenger door shell

Started by RJChallenger, November 01, 2020, 02:48:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I find myself needing a 70 drivers door. I have all the internal parts needed for the inside. What would one expect to reasonably pay, for a door shell with no dents or rust .

Rdchallenger

Not only that, but I think shipping might be a killer as well.

mccannix

Hamilton-Toronto area ??...you should be able to find one I would think.
A $300.00 nice shell would be a decent buy.
Does it have to be a 70 only or will 71-74 do for you.
Early 70 Challenger does have a different inner structure re-inforcement

anlauto

Rob, in my opinion, it might be easy to find one in our area, but I doubt it will be easy to find one in nice shape. I agree $300 would likely be a good price if you can find one.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Here's one but it would be heck of a road trip and lots of money if it turns out to be a turd,....
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-parts/ottawa/1970-dodge-challenger-door/1533236459
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

E-body doors are the easiest original sheetmetal part to find if it's any consolation. After having to reskin a badly made AMD door skin off the AMD shell and onto an original shell I would really look for an original. The AMD metal isn't the best either.
Sheldon

RJChallenger

Thanks everyone . That's kinda what, I was thinking, but the more I thought about Runcharger's post, the better this door I'm looking at gets. Yes Allen that's the trip I was thinking of making.  One new door skin + inner shell repair + epoxy primer + time and materials to prep and paint or this expensive door+ $160 gas money + 11 hour road trip. I would prefer to stay with a 70 door as the car is a 70. I changed the pass door to a 71-4 style and found out the windows wont go all the way down with 70 window regulators. It might have been a no brainer if this door was fully loaded, but it's just an empty shell. But a 71-4 style drivers door would save me from having to buy two different new mirrors. Decisions decisions.

RUNCHARGER

Window felts are different as well.
Sheldon

jimynick

Rob, there was a guy a while back here in Cambridge, trying to sell me a couple of doors that he had and if memory serves, they weren't too bad. I'm not sure of their year, but I'll try to dig up a phone # I had for him and see if it works. If it does, I'll try to get him to let me look at the doors- if he still has them!   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Brads70

If you happen to find someone with a pair that won't split them up I could be interested in a passenger side door.....

jimynick

Well, I called Harry and he said he's sold all his E body stuff and was now into a 70 Coronet. Sorry boys, as I know he had both sides. If you and Brad think they would do, I have both left and right AMD door skins?  :dunno:

RJChallenger

@jimynick  Thanks for checking. Your one of the reasons why, this is the greatest E-body site. So I called the guy near Ottawa and had a very enjoyable chat. He is going to get me some better pictures and actually have a good look at them , as he only took a quick picture for the ad . Although he claims dent, rust free, he tells me there are a couple coats of paint and we all know what can sometimes hide underneath good looking paint. If I can't get these doors at a reasonable price I will just reskin the "original to the car" door. But if I can get them, then I will have a very solid 71-4 style door available. @Brads70  Gotta love one year only parts. Thanks Guys.

RJChallenger

Well, the road trip for the doors is a bust. The door, which I had hoped was still in excellent condition had rusted thru the door skin while in storage. So the way I look at this is (1) I look for a rust free 70 door shell in southern Ont. (2) I try to repair my inner shell and reskin the original door to the car or (3) I find a rust free later year door and switch out the window regulator.
@jimynick I wouldn't mind getting a look at this AMD door skin you have. 

jimynick

anlauto

You drove all the way out there and the doors were rusted through ? He wanted $500 each for them and couldn't tell you on the phone they were rusted out ?

KiJiJidiot ! :pullinghair: