Main Menu

70 Challenger Rear Bumper Support Bracket Orientation

Started by challengermaniac, December 16, 2020, 06:23:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

challengermaniac

Oh geeze,

Upon removing my rear bumper support brackets I can't recall their correct orientation in that each has a regular bolt hole and an elongated bolt hole.  Does the elongated hole orientate toward the outside or inside?  And do I have the bracket correctly set and not upside down? 

Thank you all!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

750-h2

It looks upside down and on the wrong side. When properly installed the outside bracket bumper bolt hole should sit higher than the inside bracket bumper bolt hole. Yours is reversed. 

anlauto

You wouldn't be able to mount the bumper with the bracket on that way... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Here's both mine still on the bumper.

Claudia

I concur . . . bracket is on upside down and on the wrong side of the car.

challengermaniac

Thanks everyone especially considering I put this in the incorrect Form as well!   

Now that I have the brackets on correctly, I can see from other posts how it takes a lot of effort to get the bumper sitting just right.  I have the brackets mounted on the car and trying to get them positioned just right is tricky.  I see there is also some that mount the bracket on the bumper and then on to the car.  Not sure sure which method will get to the desired result sooner!

Mod, please move this topic to the Body Shop!  Thank you.........

750-h2

Easier to mount as an assembly. Body holes are big to allow adjustment.

anlauto

Yea, I always pre-assemble the bumpers before installing on the car. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

@Chryco Psycho shouldn't this thread be in The Body Shop and not Classified Parts / Misc For Sale. I went looking for it in Body Shop until realizing it would be faster to just go through my posts.

Edit (Dec. 23/20): Thank you for moving it.

7E-Bodies

Having played with these bumper brackets in the past, I must concur. They are like a puzzle in a funhouse. I'll be going through it as well next year on assembly and will probably be on here asking the same question.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

challengermaniac

Well, I must say that it's all about taking the correct procedure steps as the guys here shared with me.   I first loosened all of the connecting bolts and then only tighten the support bracket bolts attached to the bumper which then made it very easy to perfectly align the bumper to the car and finish tightening the remaining bolts.  It literally turned out to be a very simple process with perfect results....... just the way we all like it!