Main Menu

70 Challenger reproduction grille opinions

Started by Challenger in NC, December 17, 2021, 08:13:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

Can anyone comment on the quality and authenticity of the reproduction 70 Challenger grilles (minus bezels)? Thinking of getting one since my original needs a bunch of work.

anlauto

I've purchased and installed six of them so far....I like them, it's a cheaper alternative to finding a perfect condition original then restoring it and having it re-anodized. They still require a bit of labour to mask up and paint, but it's not too bad. The only major issue is that at some point they stopped making them shiny and so the areas on the main body that DON'T get paint are sort of this dull aluminum looking silver instead of bright shiny silver, but mostly covered by the bumper...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Challenger in NC

Quote from: anlauto on December 17, 2021, 10:29:55 AM
I've purchased and installed six of them so far....I like them, it's a cheaper alternative to finding a perfect condition original then restoring it and having it re-anodized. They still require a bit of labour to mask up and paint, but it's not too bad. The only major issue is that at some point they stopped making them shiny and so the areas on the main body that DON'T get paint are sort of this dull aluminum looking silver instead of bright shiny silver, but mostly covered by the bumper...

Good to know, just don't think I want to struggle with the old one when I've got a million other things to do on the car. Thanks.

MKA

Quote from: anlauto on December 17, 2021, 10:29:55 AM
They still require a bit of labour to mask up and paint, but it's not too bad. The only major issue is that at some point they stopped making them shiny and so the areas on the main body that DON'T get paint are sort of this dull aluminum looking silver instead of bright shiny silver, but mostly covered by the bumper...

@anlauto

Who are you buying thru?   Do you know if they are all or mostly the same manufacturer?   I see vansauto has the RT style where most others it's the regular that needs the paint

anlauto

I bought ALL of them through Roseville Moparts  :twothumbsup: Why shop anywhere else  :bravo:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Challenger in NC

It appears that Vans Auto does carry a painted version (CHETRM703RT) but its listed for about $750 which is about $150 more than Roseville's unpainted version.

anlauto

Challenger in NC

Quote from: anlauto on December 17, 2021, 11:54:51 AM
...and it's painted incorrectly too  :rubeyes:
https://vansauto.com/product/1970-challenger-grille-rt-ta/
Which portion is incorrect? Looks like egg crate is unpainted.

headejm

Should look something like this.

Brads70

Quote from: Challenger in NC on December 17, 2021, 12:07:59 PM
Quote from: anlauto on December 17, 2021, 11:54:51 AM
...and it's painted incorrectly too  :rubeyes:
https://vansauto.com/product/1970-challenger-grille-rt-ta/
Which portion is incorrect? Looks like egg crate is unpainted.

I was all set money in hand to buy one at Carlisle one year till I seen it in person. I think it was at Van's?  They are not bright anodized around the egg crate grill, but painted silver. For what they were asking for them I expected better, so I put my money away and refinished my original. Not sure if they are all coming from one source or if they fixed the cheap paint issue or if they are the same as what Roseville sells? 
https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/-cleaning-up-a-argent-1970-challenger-grill/69/msg457#msg457

anlauto

Yea, that's what I was saying...they're not shiny anymore. :'(

MKA

Thanks for the info and the link.  Always learning here.    Was thinking of buying a repop and putting the original in storage.   It's a little mangled on the end.  Will do the restoration instead when the time arrives. 

R/T's 4 R/P

Vans could sell them, but they are not vending at Carlisle anymore, so you wouldn't have seen Vans at this years Carlisle.
I bought one from Mega Parts, and it was the silver painted.  If I wasn't dear a deadline I would have returned it. Fitment was fine.

I had heard the one that Classic sells (I think they also sell just the parts) is bright anodized.
I've attached their front panel to a restored original main portion with success.

What paint are you using for the black? I've used Hot Rod black...seems a great sheen match.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Brads70

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on December 18, 2021, 05:13:11 AM
Vans could sell them, but they are not vending at Carlisle anymore, so you wouldn't have seen Vans at this years Carlisle.
I bought one from Mega Parts, and it was the silver painted.  If I wasn't dear a deadline I would have returned it. Fitment was fine.

I had heard the one that Classic sells (I think they also sell just the parts) is bright anodized.
I've attached their front panel to a restored original main portion with success.

What paint are you using for the black? I've used Hot Rod black...seems a great sheen match.

No not this year, maybe 5 years ago? Right when they first came out with the reproduction is when I almost bought one at Carlisle.
If someone didn't have one , I'm sure they will work just fine but the silver paint instead on bright anodizing would bug me and to me stands out. Kind of like how I feel about the new reproduction rear bumpers on 70 Challengers and how they are warped and don't fit straight. I have one  and yup it drives me nuts. Someday I get my original re chromed. When I see restored 70 Challengers first thing I notice is the rear bumper if its not straight.  There are a lot of them out there....
I say all this sounding like I'm some sort of a purist and really I'm not . I have lots of repop parts on my car. I just find it frustrating when someone goes to all the effort and expense to make a part and they "half ass it" or " missed it by that much" sort of a thing.

R/T's 4 R/P

I agree.
If someone is going through the effort and expense to tool-up and source a part (likely from overseas) be anal and get it perfect.
It's not like 100 people are all waiting for an item to show up by a certain date.

Or just sell the bare aluminum part and let customers finish it as they want.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT