Main Menu

70 'Cuda Elastomeric Front Bumper Need Help

Started by JSmithTN, February 16, 2022, 05:27:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JSmithTN

I came across this post and I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
I purchased this 'Cuda back in November, build sheet and fender tag indicates that it is a A22 build.
I am about to put it in the paint shop to have the paint redone, I will be keeping it the same color.
I spoke with Gean Gregory on Monday regarding the front bumper and trying to find someone that can restore it to its original shape, the surface of the bumper is not the concern I have, the shop that is painting it can take care of that.
Gean advised me that a competent bumper shop can return it to its original shape, however I have spoken to a few here in middle Tennessee and they only do work on chrome bumpers.
Can someone advise me of a shop or individual that can help return this bumper to its original glory?
Thanks in advance
Jeff
Modify message

Mr Cuda

Yes, the bumper is repairable.
It actually  isn't in need of much repair,  just straightening.
It looks like it got "beaked ", like into a wall or big bumper.
My car had a perfect chrome bumper with the same problem.
I straightened it on the car with a port a power , and a piece of steel tubing across the frame horns.
Loosen everything up first,  the brackets need to move with the push.
You could also pull the bumper into submission,  but you need special pull yokes, and a way to pull. I have all that, but the simplest way is usually the best
Now, I sent my factory urethane bumper out to get some big wows pressed out at the chrome shop. They padded the front and pressed it straight without damaging the urethane.  So a chrome shop could  if they had the dies and desire.
But the bigger issue is, any competent auto body  shop should be able to handle that small of a deformation,  if not it calls into question their  ability.

MoparLeo

It also goes without saying that the paint shop needs to use flexible paint on the bumper. You might want to contact member  @Chryco   he deals in elastomeric bumpers.
https://www.tommythechryco.ca/
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...