Main Menu

70 vs 71 Shock Tower Access Plugs

Started by Floyd, September 30, 2019, 11:26:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

I have an early build 71 (Sep SPD) that has the 70-style trunk pan.  Any guesses on whether it would have the 71-style rubber plug or the 70-style metal and rubber plug for the shock tower access?  Anyone have pics of an unrestored early-build e-body?

Thanks!

cuda hunter

My 71 bh barracuda is a 909. 
this is the only picture I can find of the trunk shock access.
It appears to be the metal type.  You will probably have to enlarge the picture. 
Hopefully the website stamp won't cover the part. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Floyd

I think I can make it out.  Looks like metal type to me too.  Thanks

71vert340

My December 1970 built Hamtramck plant 71 Challenger. Original shock access covers.
Terry

Floyd

The money shot!  Even the right color.  Thanks!

71vert340

You are welcome. Notice how my seam sealer is still black  just forward of the shock cover. And it seems to be leaching an oil residue out on the paint. Mines a convertible if it makes a difference. I've owned the car since the summer of 1972. It looks terrible. I noticed some of the interior sealer on my 74 Charger interior is also doing the same thing. Most cars I see are not doing this. I should just clean it up.
Terry

anlauto

Just to confuse matters more....this 1971 Cuda belonging to a member here....has a build date of May 20th 1971....Check out the location, yes...but then check out the metal plugs  :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

I forgot I have this thing kicking around in the garage.  It's birth date is  December 6th 1969.  Challenger. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on October 06, 2019, 01:20:26 PM
Just to confuse matters more....this 1971 Cuda belonging to a member here....has a build date of May 20th 1971....Check out the location, yes...but then check out the metal plugs  :looney:

I'd speculate that the plugs were swapped, probably when the trunk floor got painted... :alan2cents:
Fact is if I were personally inspecting the car I'd look for signs the trunk floor has been replaced... 

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 19, 2019, 08:34:48 PM
Quote from: anlauto on October 06, 2019, 01:20:26 PM

I'd speculate that the plugs were swapped, probably when the trunk floor got painted... :alan2cents:
Fact is if I were personally inspecting the car I'd look for signs the trunk floor has been replaced...

I agree 100% ....Although no previous trunk floor replacement on this particular 71 Cuda....with almost 50 years of history with these cars, it almost impossible to know what's been tinkered with or swapped out over the years :alan2cents:
I just thought it was weird, because whoever painted the trunk didn't seem to remove the plugs before painting. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration