Main Menu

73 cuda stripe

Started by Rich G., May 24, 2020, 05:29:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

Getting ready to attempt putting on the side stripe on the 73 cuda. I'm assuming you start with the door since the door handle sets the stage. I have the kit from Phoenix Graphics and just laying it by the door handle I see there is a gap all around the handle. I can't find a good picture of one so my question is do i just keep an equal distance around the top and sides of the handle?  If anyone has a close up picture that would be great.

73_Cuda_4_Me

Looks equal all around on mine...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

anlauto

Yup, equal all around the handle. I do the door first, then the fender. I would stick them to the side of the car first with little pieces of tape, and the eye ball it to make sure the two pieces are straight. You want to make sure the front of the door stripe is not too high, otherwise when you add the fender stipe and you want to center it where it goes, you can end up with a peak at the door/fender gap.....Not good.

Once you got those two pieces where you want them, mark the height of the decal with pieces of tape brought right up to the edge of the stripe. Then when applying, you can use those pieces of tape as a guide.

In my opinion, it's important to lay out those two pieces at least, BEFORE you apply the door piece.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73_Cuda_4_Me

Front fender stripe on mine starts 3-1/8" from leading edge...

edit: and the stripe looks to be 2" above the body crease to bottom of stripe on mine...

BS23H3B

Rich G.

Thanks guy's that's exactly what I needed.

73_Cuda_4_Me

BS23H3B

RUNCHARGER

I will add that I put fairly long (about 18") pieces of tape along the body crease as a guide just to help keep the stripes going straight from door to fender/quarter. My eyes need all the help they can get on this stuff.
Sheldon

anlauto

That's a great tip too....My pet peeve is when stripes "peak" at the door/fender gap :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

73_Cuda_4_Me

The gap from body line to bottom of stripe is not the same from front to rear on mine, though... Mine is 3-1/2" at rear to body line, and about 1-3/4" to body line at very front of front fender stripe.

It looks like the 1/2" gap from top of rear quarter/door body line is maintained across rear quarter, and front fender stripe lines up with bottom of rear quarter and door stripes...

BS23H3B

anlauto

73_Cuda_4_Me

Here are a couple more of just front fender gap...

BS23H3B

Rich G.

Thanks for the pictures . You look at it from one angle from the back and the bottom line is straight across the entire body line. Step back and look at it and the front looks like it's going up probably because the front of the fender slopes down. This was my first attempt at a decal. It looks like it goes up at the front but if you measure from the center body line up to the bottom stripe it's exactly the same measurement across the entire center body line. Would this be correct?

anlauto

That looks fantastic ! I love the colour of the car too :drooling: :twothumbsup:

73_Cuda_4_Me

@Rich G.  - Love the color combo!

Not having installed stripes, I can not say what is right... I'm just trying to help you out as much as I can, based on what is on mine...

Here are a couple more that show whole body side a little better...

BS23H3B

cudamadd

Very nice awesome colour