Main Menu

A little help with holes please

Started by usraptor, April 04, 2018, 06:40:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

During the restoration of my '70 Cuda we replaced both rear quarter panels.  Naturally, the new panels didn't come with the holes pre-drilled for the rear quarter glass belt moldings.  Can somebody please advise me how many holes I need to drill and the distance/spacing of the holes from each other and the door jam edge.  Pictures would be greatly appreciated if available.  Thanks in advance.  :twothumbsup:

usraptor

Nobody?  Anybody?  :huh:  Doesn't somebody have their Cuda in body and paint that has the belt molding removed that could get me some quick measurements?  :help:

anlauto

There's two clips per side...spacing doesn't really matter...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

I don't have my car here or I would measure now..... but if you still want these measurement I could take measurements on my '70 Cuda and post it up in a day or 2
Keep yer foot in it

usraptor

Thanks again Alan. :twothumbsup:  xx88man.  Thank you for the offer, but I think I'll be okay now.  I'll let you know if I change my mind.  :bigthumb:

anlauto

I would install the door trim first. Make sure the door is also at it's final adjustment. Cover that area of the quarter with masking tape. Lay the quarter trim piece exactly where you want it, lined up with the door trim, parallel with the window fuzzie....Take a pencil and mark on the tape the out side edges of the trim piece . Remove the trim, center the clip between the two pencil marks and mark your hole.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

usraptor

Thanks again for the advice.  Did as Alan suggested and got the holes drilled, clips installed and molding snapped into place.  As far as the door molding goes, I'm pissed.    :verymad: After all that sanding and buffing, I dented the molding pushing on it to get it to clip into place, especially the passenger side.  I don't know if the clips are incorrect or I'm just inept, but it took an awful lot of pressure to get the molding to clip and even there was one clip on each side that I never could get to clip onto the molding.  Now I have to take it back off and re-sand and work out the dents.  :pullinghair:  I don't know whether to slightly file the edges of the clips so it isn't so wide or just order new clips from another vendor?  :thinking:

anlauto

The reproduction 1970 clips available now are too wide in my opinion, I actually ground the inside edges of the trim to get them to clip on. I really prefer the 71+ style clip.

usraptor

usraptor

Alan, just curious.  Will the 71+ clips work on 70 molding?

anlauto

Quote from: usraptor on April 08, 2018, 08:48:08 AM
Alan, just curious.  Will the 71+ clips work on 70 molding?

YES...the moldings are the same.....problem is, the door now has holes in it and the 71 style clips use studs. You can install the 71 style clips with the "screw-in" type studs no problem, but you're left with holes in the tops of your door that are not really sealed up :dunno:

usraptor

Thanks Alan.   :bigthumb:  I think I'll try trimming the width on the plastic clips first.