Main Menu

AMD Door Glass - Buyer Beware!!!

Started by Dmod1974, November 20, 2022, 03:15:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dmod1974

I'm sure most of you know the issues I had with AMD's front and rear glass being completely unusable; I started trying to sand the scratches out of my door glass to avoid this issue again, but the time invested wasn't making any sense.  It'd have taken me months to work from the coarse grits needed to get my scratches out to a clear finish, and the risk of distortion would be high.

AMD recently got door glass back in stock, so I ordered it to try and save some headache.  Long story short, this glass is not usable either.  It's curved too much at the bottom which prevented me from even getting it in the window opening in the door shell with the front channel installed.  That was my first big red flag, but I chalked it up to me being unfamiliar with installing them that way.  I did lay the OEM and AMD glass over each other, but didn't immediately notices the differences until I took them back out after the initial installation.

I installed the glass separately, and installed the channel in the door shell.  Not ideal for sure...  I spent hours trying to get the glass tip in correct to seat on the roof weatherstripping tightly, but not bind or pinch it.  I could not adjust the tip in enough without the scissor arms on the regulator hitting each other and binding.  Issue #2....

Last problem, it was impossible to install the upstop brackets as the glass would hit them when moving up because of the curvature issues.

I ended up with going with the much cheaper OER brand.  This lacks the pentastar logos which sucks, but the glass fit perfect.  It dropped right in with the channel attached and adjusted up pretty quickly. 

On the positive, AMD did issue me a full refund and didn't fight with me on it after I showed them pics and turned the issue on and off by dropping my OEM glass in with no issues.  They confirmed that my pieces came from the latest lots and they would put them on hold, but that has not happened since they still show in stock and ready for order.  Hopefully this saves someone else lots of aggravation...

Cuda_mark

ECS might be able to etch the glass for you. I know they etch windshield glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

Good to know....I have the OER door glass in my car, and another set ordered for my friend's convertible  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

WDO72

Thanks for the info. I was considering purchasing door glass from AMD. Maybe I should stick with what I have.

Ramman

Sorry for your fitment issues with AMD. Service after the sale. What was the vendor's response when they were notified of this problem?

tman

That's unfortunate.  I purchased a door glass about 6yrs ago, fit great.