Main Menu

Back glass clips (right ones?)

Started by Mrbill426, April 20, 2022, 08:32:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I am about to buy some clips for the molding on my back glass... I think these are correct for my '72; it has little "pins" around the frame that resemble short common nails.  But what are the two long clips for in the kit and where do they go?

headejm

Mrbill426

@headejm I appreciate the written install instructions.  I was in my local glass shop the other day and while speaking with them about a contracted install they said they "no longer" use butyl tape, indicating it was a "problem" and that they instead  use some type of sealer.  I did not press them as to what the "problem" was at the time as I took them at their professional word.  I wonder if I should insist they use it, go with what they now use, or run the other way.  They come highly recommended locally and have been in town for many years but I am not sure how many older cars like ours they work on.  I wonder too that if I insist they use another method it may void my install warranty.

Quote from: headejm on April 20, 2022, 10:14:48 AM
Talked about this subject a few times on here.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/backglass-molding-clips/20634/msg284835#msg284835

headejm

@Mrbill426 There are several thicknesses of butyl tape available. You have to use the correct thickness or your chrome trim around the window will not fit properly. Glass too low and there will be a large gap between the glass and the trim, too high and the trim will not even go on. The correct thickness for the butyl tape  when installing factory thickness glass is 5/16". Some of the aftermarket glass is thinner than original glass and you will have to use thicker butyl tape to get the trim to install properly. I would ask your glass installer how they make up the 5/16" gap. That is a large gap to be using a liquid sealer.

I personally don't see a problem with using butyl tape. The factory did it that way on 10,000's of cars and that is the way most Mopars are restored. I installed my own glass and it was no problem at all. If you'd like to try it yourself, I'd be glad to step you through the process.  :cheers:

Mrbill426

@headejm I have to agree about the thickness of any sealer required to get the glass where it needs to be and it seems to me the butyl is the way to achieve it consistently.  I am going to talk with the installer about that.  Thanks!
:wrenching:

Quote from: headejm on April 20, 2022, 08:07:37 PM
@Mrbill426 There are several thicknesses of butyl tape available. You have to use the correct thickness or your chrome trim around the window will not fit properly. Glass too low and there will be a large gap between the glass and the trim, too high and the trim will not even go on. The correct thickness for the butyl tape  when installing factory thickness glass is 5/16". Some of the aftermarket glass is thinner than original glass and you will have to use thicker butyl tape to get the trim to install properly. I would ask your glass installer how they make up the 5/16" gap. That is a large gap to be using a liquid sealer.

I personally don't see a problem with using butyl tape. The factory did it that way on 10,000's of cars and that is the way most Mopars are restored. I installed my own glass and it was no problem at all. If you'd like to try it yourself, I'd be glad to step you through the process.  :cheers:

headejm

@70rtse Check out this thread and see if it answers your questions.

RUNCHARGER

I can't bring myself to set glass onto a metal edge. I cut rubber to the right thickness and let the glass set on it.
Sheldon