Main Menu

Rear window glass alignment clips 70 Challenger up/down?

Started by Marksmopar1, January 24, 2019, 08:26:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marksmopar1

Hi,
Quick question...
  70 Challenger rear window alignment clips.
Are these installed with the Blue side down or up (see picture).
I am thinking Blue side down to give room for the finish moldings...but just a guess.

This seems to be a tough one to find info on. Sorry if it is on the site somewhere, I could not find it.
I do know these go in the second clip hole from each corner Left/ Right.
   Thanks in advance!

Challenger in NC

Anyone know correct placement/orientation of these clips?

Marksmopar1

I installed these with the blue side down. This seems the best way that they fit.
I trial pre-fit these in every way possible and blue side down is to me the way to go.
  If you install them blue side up, the chrome trim will be a bugger to fit..if fit at all.

This was my findings...

headejm

:iagree: Blue side down. Just trying to keep the glass from sitting on the bottom window channel.

Marksmopar1

Yes!
   I should have been more specific...
Blue side down and the window sits on the X part of the clip.
Screws into the second hole from each corner L+R on the lower channel.

:burnout:

Timbbuc2

Great question and answer, I was wondering the same thing, now what is everyone using to deal the window?
Get in, I'll drive

Challenger in NC

I was planning on using a roll of the butyl ribbon adhesive but I will probably get the opinion of a professional installer.

anlauto

My glass installer would never use those metal clips...he simply doesn't like the idea of the glass rubbing on steel. He uses little rubber blocks like the windshield. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

That's correct. I just had my front and rear glass installed by a pro. As soon as he saw those clips he told me to take them off as he didn't want the glass to sit on steel. Like Al's glass guy he also placed small rubber blocks to support the glass.

Marksmopar1

Yup, rubber blocks would likely be a better choice,
  But, the original question was how do these clips install... The clips were originally the way it was done, not necessarily the way it should be done these days. Some like to do it the way it should or was done at the factory...some dont care. The results will have the same outcome and look no doubt.
  The metal will rust away in time for sure and likely the reason we dont see the clips when we strip the cars down...
Anyway..... Do what you will, nice to know how they did it originally...the option is yours  8)

Challenger in NC

Quote from: Marksmopar1 on March 22, 2019, 06:42:41 PM
  Yup, rubber blocks would likely be a better choice,
  But, the original question was how do these clips install... The clips were originally the way it was done, not necessarily the way it should be done these days. Some like to do it the way it should or was done at the factory...some dont care. The results will have the same outcome and look no doubt.
  The metal will rust away in time for sure and likely the reason we dont see the clips when we strip the cars down...
Anyway..... Do what you will, nice to know how they did it originally...the option is yours  8)

I too was curious how they were located, but I will need a spacer that is taller since the AMD rear glass that I ordered is undersized.