Main Menu

Battery relocation to trunk

Started by 74CudaChief, July 19, 2017, 03:41:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74CudaChief

So, I have been looking at the idea of moving the battery from the stock location to inside the trunk.

I noticed that there is a good amount of space under the trunk extensions on the right and left sides (as you sit in the car).
I would use my battery as a template to build the box out of cardboard and see how it will fit underneath the trunk floor before getting metal out.  :thinking:

Has anyone done this mod?

I have heard that larger wire size is needed from the battery to the engine compartment... What size would it need to be?
(I'm no electrician) Lol

Is one side (left or right) better than the other?

Any tips, tricks or preference on where to place/run the wire under the car and secure it to the chassis?

Thank you all in advance 
Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).
Mods: US Car Tool Level 3 Chassis Stiffening Kit with mini-tubs.

303 Mopar

I have moved the battery to the trunk twice - once to the left side on my '71 Challenger and then to the right side of my '70 Cuda. The right (passenger) side as is most traditional due to body torque to the left side so you want the extra weight on the right to help.  If you are not that big into racing either side would work. 

On the Cuda, I used the battery tray and drilled holes through the tray and trunk floor and ran bolts to secure it.  The existing "J" bolts secure the battery to the tray. I bought 20' of positive 2 gauge cable, ran it behind the seat, along the driver side under the sill plate and out through the firewall directly to the starter.  I used the existing negative cable and grounded it to the pinch weld of the trunk extension, but really you can ground it anywhere.

On my Challenger, I mounted the battery in a box on the left side to hide the MSD box and vacuum pump.  I ran two 2 gauge cables through a drain hole in trunk floor, through the frame rail and along the driver side pinch weld.  It was a PITA to feed those cables through the frame rail and not really worth it in the end.

Brads70

I also have mine in the trunk. I installed a Moroso main shut off switch . I used a electrical plastic box and mounted it near the battery on the hinge supports

RUNCHARGER

The battery in my Viper is mounted in the rear. it's also smaller than a traditional 24 or 27 series and it starts the 514 Cubes just fine. I think it would fit under the trunk like what you are asking.
Sheldon

74CudaChief

Thank you all for your help, great information and pictures.  :banana: :bigthumb:
Mopar or No Car!  My Mopar: 74 Cuda (Under Construction).  Replacing: Both Rear quarters(1970), Rear Tail light panel, Package tray, LH Trunk extension, Roof, LH A-Pillar, Both Front quarters(1970).
Mods: US Car Tool Level 3 Chassis Stiffening Kit with mini-tubs.

GoodysGotaCuda

Mine isn't much to look at, but it's in the trunk. The tray is for an off road vehicle, I wanted a pretty substantial hold down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs