Main Menu

Black out on cowl for Challenger

Started by chaps70rt, May 12, 2024, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chaps70rt

Can someone post or send me a couple of pictures that shows where the black out paint starts and stops under the front windshield trim and cowl?  How did the factory tape off the area to separate from body colour.   Many thanks ....  Gary
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

RUNCHARGER

Like this only no masking tape used, sloppy. I just couldn't do it like the UAW did.
Sheldon

71GranCoupe

Here is a view from my RT/SE Dealer Promo Survivor. I have had this since 1980. It was painted without the harsh tape line and done by free hand, which I prefer. It came from the LA Plant.

7E-Bodies

Wasn't it done on only certain colors?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

tparker

Not sure if it was certain colors or not, but definitely not all cars got the black out. I'm speaking out my  butt, but I think I have seen some  yellow 70 challengers without the blackout, but mine has it. However, mine has a vinyl top and is a western sport special (a trim upgrade, similar to SE I belive). 

My blackout was fairly rough. A fair amount of overspray, not taped up, just sprayed, probably  before  the fenders and probably after the engine bay

chaps70rt

Here is what mine ended up like on a white car.

70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

blown motor

I never realized that area was blacked out, but I have a black car.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

headejm

We have discussed this on here several times. There appears to be a date cut-off of sometime in April 1970. My Challenger N0B has a SPD of 508 and did not have the cowl blackout. May 1970 builds and later appear to not have the blackout.

For the radiator support blackout, Chrysler skipped three darker colors. The cowl blackout could have used the same skipped colors but not positive on that. Really no sense in blacking out the darker colors.