Main Menu

Black Paint for engine bay components

Started by tparker, August 28, 2019, 12:51:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Just curious if any one has thoughts on the black paint for things like the horns, windshield wiper motor, etc. I'm guessing a gloss black. Any specific type anyone is using and would they not recommend a spray can?

I'm not sure but I think i used a VHT gloss black for the windshield wiper motor and it turned out ok. But thought I'd check before I do the horns and other things.

Thanks
Tom

70 Challenger Lover

The horns are black and I've used a semi gloss rattle can with nice results. The three speed wiper motor is not black but I'm not sure about the two speed one.

BIGSHCLUNK

I remember using NAPA Underhood Black years back. (rattle can)  Dont know if its still made tho.......

RUNCHARGER

Semi gloss is correct I suppose however I like gloss black as it's easier to keep clean, 2 speed wiper motor is gloss black.
Sheldon

anlauto

I like using different shades of black (even just different brands of the same colour) for each component keeping in mind they never "ALL" came from the same supplier...so the horns would be different from the wiper motor, the rad, the pulleys, PS pump, K Frame, etc....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

pink aar

Tparker,, I use PPG Concept Chevy gloss black. It's a TRUE black.  5 oz of black with 3 oz of flatting . That will get you close to satin black. Like Alan said, the parts came from different vendors, so the blacks were never the came in color. By mixing the paint like I do, the color will never be a prefect match every time. It may be just a LITTLE off in color.

I hope this helps.

I have a friend that is buying flat black and adding a touch of glass to it to get a satin color.

tparker

Thanks all. This helps. I didn't think of the different factory thing, but that obviously makes sense. I'm not trying to recreate the original. Just making it look good. THe car is 50 years old( next year ) and has been through a lot. Replaced hood and trunk. Different engine. Was a Western Sport Special, Removed the side moldings, etc. Not really interested in trying to fool someone into thinking that anything is original. LOL. But with that said, I'd like to keep it close I'll try some gloss black. I like the Satin Trim black, maybe I'll try the Gloss Trim black and see how it looks. Maybe I'll buy a couple different brands for different parts. hmmm