Main Menu

Challenger door skin fitment?

Started by spoolinhard, August 07, 2020, 08:29:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

spoolinhard

I am going to be reskinning my doors, just curious as to fitment/ brand from anyone who has done this before?

Rich G.

I put a passenger side AMD door skin on my 70 Challenger. No problems.

spoolinhard

Quote from: Rich G. on August 07, 2020, 10:07:45 AM
I put a passenger side AMD door skin on my 70 Challenger. No problems.
How were the door gaps/ body lines?

jimynick

Measure the outside length, carefully on both panels and compare. An 1/8" variance can be an issue when it comes to obtaining a decent panel gap. If it passes that test and you've ground off and replaced the skin, be careful and relatively gentle hammering on the new one. Take your time and take 3-4 passes to knock the lip over using a flat faced dolly as a gentle support. DON'T pound the lip shut! It's also a good idea to re-mount the re-skinned door and see how it now aligns. By not pounding the lip tight, nor welding anything yet,  if you need to tweak the door to get a better fit, you can do so. Once you're happy with it's fit, pull it off, carefully finish hammering down the lip and a couple of weld spots in the corners would be next. You could also bond the skin on, but you'd need to be Speedy Gonzales to do that and fit it and then finish before the bond material got harder than Chinese mathematics. A good quality seam sealer applied caringly should get you back to square one. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"