Main Menu

72 Challenger grill

Started by Cbridgewater, May 22, 2019, 05:42:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cbridgewater

Anyone alter their 72-74 Challenger grill? I was thinking about trimming the "nose" piece back for a more recessed look while maintaining the original styling. Thoughts? Recommendations?

floorit426

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. I am going to black out the whole inside, in hopes that the "sad face", will be toned down, a bit.

dodj

The metal bracket behind the grille on the centre support will preclude much 'trimming'. IMO.
Floorit, here is a pic of mine blacked out.
It will give you an idea of what you will end up with if you go that route.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

bcbassfishing

Shouldn't be that bad to do... I would just jam a 70 grill in the thing and hang up your original grill assembly in a safe place.  Them metal grills handle a little more road ware aswell and usually can be found pretty inexpensive compared to the other years.  I know my 71 grill was a bugger to find anything workable. 

7212Mopar

What about cutting out all the plastic dividers and change it to some kind of honeycomb type grille inserts?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cbridgewater

Quote from: 7212Mopar on May 23, 2019, 12:51:44 PM
What about cutting out all the plastic dividers and change it to some kind of honeycomb type grille inserts?

Not a bad idea.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: dodj on May 23, 2019, 07:00:17 AM
The metal bracket behind the grille on the centre support will preclude much 'trimming'. IMO.
Floorit, here is a pic of mine blacked out.
It will give you an idea of what you will end up with if you go that route.

Did you just use SEM trim paint for the black?

rhamson

I have done it and it looks awesome.  Don't have any pictures but it is reminiscent of the older grilles the way it goes back under the hood.

PLUM72

Had recent thoughts of grafting the grill from a newer Durango into a 72-74.  Note the similarities in the photos.  While it might be a bit out of my skill set, if I can find the parts cheap enough, it might be worth an experiment.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

dave73

That's exactly what I did a few years ago. I bought a crappy extra and kept my nice original on the shelf. I honestly hated the front on my 73 when I first got it, now I think it looks mean

PLUM72

If you section the center of an existing grill, this stuff might work...

https://www.mcmaster.com/9635k4

-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

7212Mopar

Thinking out loud. Make a split bumper like the 70 Camero and integrated the top and bottom half the grille as one? Anyone has Photoshop skills?

Actually the 72-74 grille doesn't bother me at all.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

318Stroker

Quote from: dave73chally on June 04, 2019, 11:22:51 AM

That's exactly what I did a few years ago. I bought a crappy extra and kept my nice original on the shelf. I honestly hated the front on my 73 when I first got it, now I think it looks mean

:iagree: I've said for a long time that the 72-74 Challenger grill has a mean, muscular look. Almost the exact same grill shape as a 68 Shelby. I will say that I personally like the black w/argent trim Challenger grill a lot better than the argent with black trim.

Cbridgewater

Bumping this topic, see if anyone has any fresh ideas?

dave73

I've seen 2015+ panels retrofitted, stock 72-74 painted black with a black header panel to hide it to a degree, stock 72-74 style modified with a mesh type insert, swap the whole front for a 70 or 71. Really up to the look you want and skill level/time/money you want to throw at it.