Main Menu

Bumblebee stripe 1970 Challenger meaning?

Started by MauSanchezC, February 19, 2022, 08:33:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MauSanchezC

What does the bumblebee stripe means on the 1970 challenger? And how do i know if my car has it or not? (There is no fender tag and broadcast sheet)

Chryco Psycho

Bumble Bee stripe on a 70 chall only was the stripe up the 1/4 panel even with the depth of the bumper going over the trunk lid & down the other side , they were painted on not decals & were available in most paint colors .
Without a build sheet or fender tag the only other way to know is if the body has any original paint on it you might find evidence of a different color stripe in the area mentioned above as I did on my car .

340challconvert

Here are the factory paint specs for the bumble stripe. As Chryco intimated, without a fender tag or build sheet it would be difficult to ascertain. If your car is an RT (JS serial number) a stripe was standard; but it could have been the bumble stripe (painted) or even an RT side stripe (decal), all available in different colors contingent upon the car's main painted color.
There was also a stripe delete option (V98) which would have been on a tag. Side stripes w/o the RT designation were also available on non RT cars. The bumble stripe was also standard on the A66, 340 Challengers in 1970 but could be deleted.

If you have original paint, you could remove the quarter, trunk chrome to see if there is any evidence of stripe paint? If the car has been repainted, or no other evidence (behind the side of the rear bumper) exists, choose to do what you like!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

EV2RTSE

If the fenders are original to the car, if it had the side stripe there would only be 'Challenger' emblem holes on the fender, the 'R/T' would be part of the stripe. If the car is either a stripe delete (V68 in the case of an R/T) or bumblebee it would have both 'Challenger' and 'R/T' emblem holes on the fender.

Oftentimes too a car originally with a side stripe even if it was removed, will have pieces left behind. Or if you do a little careful sanding around the tail panel you may find evidence of a bumblebee.