Main Menu

Challenger door paint

Started by rftroy, May 07, 2017, 11:56:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rftroy

Challenger will be in the sandblaster in three weeks. Won't be too long after that that I'll go to paint.
Need to figure out how to paint doors. Car was originally 318 auto SE mom and pop car. Original drivers door was painted solid color of car. The passengers door,  not original to car, has black paint on inside of door around edges. What determines what car gets the black paint?
Challenger versus R/T?
Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

Cuda Cody

They all get one color (body color).  So someone may have re-painted the second door.  :dunno:

What color will the car be?  Some colors are a bit harder to paint then others, but your painter will know how to paint them so they all match.  I paint mine on a stand inline with the fenders (another stand).  Notice the dead weight at the bottom of the stand.  That is so it does not tip over if I take one door off.

Also, a little trick.  Take out all the guts (internal windows, regulators, handles, hardware) and weigh it.  You should have around 50 lbs of guts.  When the body work is being done, put weight (chain, brick, and weight) inside the door evenly along the bottom.  It will make you body lines line up perfectly when you put your doors back together.  There is a little natural sag to the doors and pre weighting them during body work really helps.

Cuda Cody

Also, see on your red door how the screws and latch are not painted?  That's the correct (factory) way it was done.  The other door has the screws painted over telling you it was re-painted.

Take the screws and latch out before paint.  It looks much better.  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Cody, aren't you gonna point out the red door is an LA plant door? 

Anyway I agree, take the latch & assorted hardware out before paint.... & outer body color everywhere...

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Body colour. As Cody said, please strip the doors for a professional outcome.
Sheldon

JS29

Get A picture of the VIN decal and note it's position. Then you can get A new one. it will look like brand new when it's done.

Cuda Cody

Good eye!  The sideways VIN decal gives it away.   :takealook:

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 08, 2017, 12:44:45 AM
Cody, aren't you gonna point out the red door is an LA plant door? 

Anyway I agree, take the latch & assorted hardware out before paint.... & outer body color everywhere...

rftroy

Good information.  Thanks for the tips.
Bob
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

Shane Kelley

Quote from: JS29 on May 08, 2017, 12:16:43 PM
Get A picture of the VIN decal and note it's position. Then you can get A new one. it will look like brand new when it's done.
Like this. For the latch area.  That VIN decal is different location. Did Challengers put them down low Cody?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 12, 2017, 01:29:09 PM
Like this. For the latch area.  That VIN decal is different location. Did Challengers put them down low Cody?

Don't recall seeing one that high... Normally it's just above the latch...  LA cars are turned 90 degrees & below the latch....

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 12, 2017, 01:47:37 PM

Don't recall seeing one that high... Normally it's just above the latch...  LA cars are turned 90 degrees & below the latch....
I used this unrestored Hemi Cuda for reference.

Cuda Cody

1 Wild RT is right.  1970 LA plant appears to have turned them sideways most of the time and Hamtramck plant had them straight.

Did Challengers put them down low Cody?

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 12, 2017, 01:47:37 PM

Don't recall seeing one that high... Normally it's just above the latch... 

A couple of 1971's and even a 1970....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration