Main Menu

Converting 74 challenger rear bumper to 72 bumper

Started by moparmike, May 11, 2018, 01:24:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparmike

I bought a new 72 bumper and 72 AMD brackets. After 4 hours of not getting new bumper to fit properly walked away for now. Just not nesting up to body like it should. Brackets seem a little to long front to back. Has anyone else encountered this with AMD brackets.
Mike

Burdar

Do you have the metal filler strip installed below the tail panel?  Without it, it might just SEEM like the bumper isn't tucked up close enough.  That filler is used so you don't see daylight between the bumper and the body.  70-72 used the metal filler.  73-74 used the larger rubber filler.

moparmike

Thanks was not informed of metal filler strip on 72. That may do the trick. Will order one ASAP.
Mike

anlauto

How do the sides look ? Is there about a one inch gap around the radius of the bumper ?

1971 does NOT use the filler.....I about 70 using it but never thought about 72, but it makes sense...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparmike

Thanks for the photo. It gives me a clear idea of what I'm shooting for. Already ordered small metal trim which should give me some adjust-ability. Bumper just would not space evenly across rear. With the trim and some wedge washers I think I can get it there. Will let you know how I make out.
Mike

moparmike

Ok bumper is on and looks great. I actually shortened the right AMD bracket by grinding away about a 1/4"  where bracket meets the bumper and another 1/4" where bracket mounts on body giving me a 1/2" total. The right is now nesting in body cut out the same as the left. Could be car was a little out of whack. Looks perfectly straight from every angle with naked eye but you never know. Body could be a little twisted as its a very high horsepower machine ( around 450 ). I also packed out the left side about 3/16" this allowed the right to tip in a little more helping to make them equal.

Mike

moparmike

The saga continues, as stated earlier bumper is on . Snug to body and looks great. Just went to bolt on 74 rear valence and I have a Gap of about 1-1/2" give or take a little between the bottom of the bumper and the top of the valence. Where do I go from here. Is the 72 valence taller thus filling that gap? Do I make my own filler. This would be a major undertaking and not optimal. Any input from someone who has already crossed this bridge woudld be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mopar Mike
Mike

nsmall

Burdar

Post a picture...not just from a low angle but from normal viewing height. It might be normal.

nsmall

@moparmike

Post some pics and Burdar will hook you up with solid advice.

Burdar

Looks like he started another thread on the subject and got his answer...it's a normal gap.  It just looks excessive because you're looking at it from the ground.  When viewing it from a normal angle, it looks fine.

Cudakid

Does anyone know if there is a filler panel between the body and rear bumper on the 1972 Plymouth Cuda?
Thanks,
Larry in East China MI