Main Menu

Correct Spare Tire Bracket Welding?

Started by 7E-Bodies, August 17, 2019, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

I'm looking at welding in the spare tire hold down bracket in the new AMD pan and wanting to know how the factory did it. I'm pretty good at making 3/16" plug welds look like spot welds, but wast sure if Ma Mopar laid beads on the sides of these or not. Feedback and pics appreciated. 

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

And damn these pics turning sideways (but only sometimes)

worthywads

Can't guarantee these are factor welds but here is what mine looks like.  I'm curious if that is factory myself, looks like I have some paint popping off that I hadn't really noticed as well.

70 Challenger Lover

My RT is original and it had beads of stick welding holding the bracket down. I'll try to get some photos for you.

Dakota

This picture shows what's in my 70 Challenger.   Best I know, the sheet metal is all original.   There are 4 beads on each side of the bracket.   Each bead is about 1" long.   I added the red lines to the picture on the left to highlight the weld locations.  The weld locations in the picture on the right are pretty clear.

70 Challenger Lover

That's pretty much how mine looks as well.

7E-Bodies

RUNCHARGER

Yes: That looks typical. Small electrode stick weld probably.
Sheldon

headejm

Make sure the welds aren't clean and pretty. My trunk welds look like they might have been in a hurry to get them done.  :smile:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@headejm no problem there! There are welders and there are grinders. I'm the highest skilled grinder in Peoria County! lol.

JS29

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 18, 2019, 09:45:12 AM
@headejm no problem there! There are welders and there are grinders. I'm the highest skilled grinder in Peoria County! lol.
:haha: :rofl: :haha: I could say the same for Oneida county NY!  :cheers: