Main Menu

DODGE Hood letters fasteners

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 03, 2021, 02:03:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We installed the D O D G E letters on the hood.  I bought a set of nice used ones from someone on the forum.  When I tried installing them, the nuts that I thought that I was supposed to use for them would not tighten up.  Some got snug, but most did not.  Are the nuts shown in the picture the fasteners that I am supposed to use?  It seems like the pins are just worn some where the nuts seat.  I am sure I am not the first to run into this issue.
Thanks

Brads70

No picture showed up, but maybe they need some help from a hammer to flatten them down some , making the hole as small as possible?

GoMangoBoys

I forgot the attachment.  I have now remedied that.

blown motor

Timely. I was looking at mine today and I have about three nuts that don't snug up. I'll try the hammer suggestion.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

70 Top Banana

Try a flat body hammer and go lightly, a little at a time. I

gygeneral

When i did mine many years ago, I tought you were supposed to use small red plastic inserts that you slide on the stud and then press fit in the hood. No nuts.

anlauto

Quote from: gygeneral on April 21, 2021, 05:11:43 PM
When i did mine many years ago, I tought you were supposed to use small red plastic inserts that you slide on the stud and then press fit in the hood. No nuts.

The new letters still available from Chrysler come with those plastic sleeves, but I think all the originals had nuts....hammer trick works... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

The problem with the sheet metal nuts is that they cut their own threads as they go and were never designed to be reused. The other thing is that it's common for the pins to be degraded due to corrosion and abuse. Most people will crank on the nut, when all it takes, if the mldg/emblem is fitting properly in the first place, is to be snug- that's it. DON'T try to make them tight. Here endeth the sermon, go forth and crank no more!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

7E-Bodies

A little hint on the hammer trick. I use a small brad hammer, set it against the target, then tap the back of that hammer with another small hammer. It gives the opportunity to be precise and gradual.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Brads70

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on April 23, 2021, 08:01:19 PM
A little hint on the hammer trick. I use a small brad hammer, set it against the target, then tap the back of that hammer with another small hammer. It gives the opportunity to be precise and gradual.

Hey , I resent that!  :haha: I used a metal dowel pin I had laying around , clamped in a vise put the nut on top and tapped them flat again.