Main Menu

Door glass not fitting in weather strip

Started by ksierens, September 05, 2017, 06:24:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

I installed the passenger side glass over the weekend. When I close the door, the front of the glass fits up into the weather strip, but the rest of the top does not.

So, I have a few questions ...

*) Is this normal with new weather strips?

*) How far should it insert into the front of the weather strip?

1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

Burdar

You don't have the glass adjusted right.  The glass doesn't go up into the weather stripping.  It just butts up to the side of it.

Cuda Cody

There are adjustments to the window angle and you can also take the weather strip out and adjust the drip rail a bit too.  It takes a little trial and error but you can get it so it fits snugly against the window lip.

ksierens

anlauto

The glass sits on top of the weather-strip not inside. :alan2cents: Move your glass forward some.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ksierens

Alan, thanks, it is as far forward as it will go, but since I now know it sits on top of the weather strip, I can probably raise it up more.

ksierens

Thanks for the help guys, I was able to get the passenger side lined up,  but I had to remove the front track and open up the slots on my milling machine to get it to move forward more.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

usraptor

It came out very nice.  :clapping: I feel your pain having just gone through the same exercise last month.  What a PIA!  :pullinghair:

ksierens

Thanks, starting on the drivers side, it will go much easier  ;)

Cuda Cody

Looks perfect!  Once you get an idea of how things should fit they go pretty quick.  The first one always takes the longest.

usraptor

I agree with  Cody.  The driver's side took half the time the passenger side did. Still a PIA though.  :crying:

HP_Cuda

Glad I got mine done, the quarters were a bit fun but once you have one done the rest is fairly easy.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

ksierens

Ok, I spoke too fast.  The drivers window in the front is about 1/8" too far in, adjustments don't help.  On the passenger side, which is 1970 glass, the front glides in the glass are closer together.  On the drivers side, which is newer glass, the glides are in the two outer holes.  I am thinking that on the drivers side, the bottom glide should be moved up to the middle hole like the passenger side.  Anyone have any comments?