Main Menu

Door hinge spring

Started by nsmall, December 02, 2017, 09:46:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

So my door is on my freshly painted car but I'm missing the door hinge spring on the passenger side.   Sigh

So according to what Mickm says I can still install the hinge with the door on the car.  Anyone else what to chime in or did Mickm nail it?

Thanks

I found this via cc.com and @Mickm

In order to attend our prestigious high school students have to apply to gain admission and work hard to stay enrolled. 
Cudaragtop,
I am just seeing you post but I put a new "S" spring in my drivers door today. It can be done without removing the door or any panels.
It is however a two person job. Here's how I, er....we did it.
1. If you can put the car on a lift and raise to a waste high level
2. open the door
3. slip the "S" pin into position pushing it all the way down as far as it will go. There will be a small slot on the end you are trying to spring load the hinge.
4. Take a long screwdriver and insert into the end that is to be loaded and inserted into the slot.
5. While you prize the "S" spring end over the slot, have a friend use a small tube and hammer to gently tap the "S" spring "up" whereby seating the end into the slot.
6. Look at the round end of the spring, there is a small notch that should indicate where it should be located in the door hinge.

The whole operation took us about 10 Minutes.

I hope this helps,
Mickm

nsmall

@Burdar @GoodysGotaCuda @Cudajason

Do any of you guys have a picture of your door hinge that you can show me on both sides? The first picture I have is on my driver side and the second picture is of the passenger side. The passenger side seems to be upside down versus the driver side.

Thanks

Cudajason

hey @nsmall,

Sorry, I am no help on this one...my pics would look just like yours...my passenger side spring is broken as well!.  :waving:

I do think Mickm comments above make sense thought!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Burdar

I'm pretty sure(98.2% sure) that the hinges are the same for each side.  That would make one hinge upside down when installed on the opposite side of the car.

nsmall

@Burdar @Cudajason

Thanks guys.  Its only $21 to buy a new spring.  I guess the debate is should I buy the spring and try to get it to work?  I have read if the "rollers" are bad that is my problem so a new spring wont matter. 

What is the purpose of the spring?  I am assuming it slows down the opening and closing of the door?  I am also assumming they are not 100% necessary?

Thanks

Neil

Burdar

The rollers are "cogged" on the outside.  The spring engages those cogs so there is some resistance to opening the door.  Without the spring, the door will fly open all the way if you are parked on uneven ground.  I had the hinges rebuilt on my Challenger.  The body shop sent them out somewhere I think.  On my Dart, a couple rollers are frozen.  The spring has worn away the outer cogs on one side of the roller..  I ended up buying two new hinge assemblies from Rick Ehrenberg.

On the hinge that doesn't have a spring...see if you can turn the rollers.  If not, try spraying them and freeing them up.

BFM_Cuda

I just put mine together on the bench, and the instructions in the first post are pretty accurate. It looks like you don't have the fenders on, so it should be pretty easy. With the door closed, the rollers shouldn't be in the way.

nsmall

@Burdar Thanks for everything guys.  So should I grab the rollers with a pair of pliers and see if they turn freely?  Yes Rick is good.  He restored my hood hinges.  Probably should of sent him my door hinges.  They do have new pins so there is no slop.  Thanks again.