Main Menu

Door hinges

Started by fireguyfire, October 07, 2019, 07:06:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I'm prepping my 73 challenger for paint, and in testing my drivers side door I've found (not surprisingly) that there is some slip in the hinges.
Reading some back threads on here it seems like the opinion is that the generic pin and bushing kit repair isn't the way to go and is a temporary fix. I believe there is a member here that properly repairs the hinges?
Does anyone have an opinion on hinge repairs?

Jocigar

I saved some notes about a Mopar leo offering the service, although I have not used him.   maybe there are other sources.

70 Challenger Lover

I would be interested in hearing more about how it is done if you ever speak with this person. I have a couple extra sets and I've been thinking that a person could weld up the holes and redrill them but does the welding process weaken or soften the hinge metal in any way and how critical would it be to get the hole placement just right? I would think that just drilling it a couple degrees off angle or .025 off center might not allow the pin to line up right.

tparker

It is deceptively complicated. LOL. Most kits don't seem to come with directions or any info. I put in some bushings and had them split cause the hole wasn't the correct size. I resized the holes and had a heck of a time finding the proper reamer size. I ended up buying a few kits and ended up with the one with the larger pin on the lowers.

I still have to play with mine, but it seems I still have issues. Not sure if it is the hinges or something else, so I'll have to spend time soon to figure it out.

Chryco Psycho

I rebuilt a set this summer in a hour or so , not hard to do

MoparLeo

Chryco, you are hired. It takes me most of a day to properly, completely rebuild a set of hinges. Not just a pin job though.  If your lower pin holes will not clean up at .406 then toss them. I usually only go 1 upsize to .375  Don't bother trying to weld them and redrill. Too weak. Door check pins get welded.
California 'SPRING FLING" in Woodley Park- Van Nuys coming.  October 26,2019 . I will be there as usual. Get your hinge orders in now for show delivery. Look for the Big Black "MOPAR" tent. Bring the kids and grandkids.  Hundreds of satisfied customers world wide for the last 25 + years. Thank you for your past and future business.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...