Main Menu

Driveshaft Resto: Another Evapo-o-rust Success Story

Started by Floyd, May 02, 2021, 04:53:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

Thought I'd share some before and after pics of my driveshaft.  It was painted flat black at some point and appeared to be hiding some minor surface rust.  I had the paint removed at my local soda blast shop and then soaked it overnight in evaporust.  Turned out great IMO. 

usraptor

That came out great!  :twothumbsup:  I have to admit when you said you soaked it in Evaporust I was curious how you did that.  Very clever!  :yes:

Floyd

I can't take credit for the PVC tube idea.  I learned about it here or over on Moparts.  I was surprised that it only took about 1.5 gallons using 4" PVC.  The driveshaft will float so you need to use a clamp to keep it fully submerged.  Super happy with the results.

7E-Bodies

Nice! And excellent idea. This is why the forum rocks. I'm more than likely going to PPG flat black my drive shaft as well. I know they were "natural" from the factory, but I'm grateful someone had painted mine back in the day because the numbers were still clear. I'll do the same to preserve it for future long after I get off this ride.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Floyd

They were bare from the factory as far as I know.  I spoke with Mike Ross and he's going to flat clear powder coat it for me next time I head out his way.  I had considered painting it but changed my mind after the evaporust treatment.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

7E-Bodies

@Floyd ive recently been told powder coat/clear coat won't work well. Do some digging.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Mrbill426

Nice job  :bigthumb:

I have used that stuff quite a bit on our restoration... saves a lot of time and cleanup is easy.  I keep a spare gallon on hand just because.

1972V21Cuda

larry4406

Quote from: Floyd on May 02, 2021, 05:18:06 PM
They were bare from the factory as far as I know.  I spoke with Mike Ross and he's going to flat clear powder coat it for me next time I head out his way.  I had considered painting it but changed my mind after the evaporust treatment.

Don't drive shafts have some sort of internal rubber piece to dampen noise/vibration?  What affect will the high temperature from the powder coat oven have on this?

Nice job with the evaporust and sodablast cleaning.

Rich G.

Looks great but why would you have to soak it if you had it blasted? Didn't blasting it get all the rust off?

Floyd

I hadn't heard about internal components like rubber but if that's true I can see where powder coat heating could be a problem.  I do need to dig into that. 

As for blasting before soaking, I had a pretty nice part to start with and suspected only light surface rust under the paint.  Soda blasting only removes paint and does almost nothing against rust.  I didn't want to be too aggressive with a blasting media that would change the surface profile of the metal.  I would have gone with crushed glass blasting (removes paint and rust) if my part was more heavily rusted and I was set on painting the part.  The evaporust treatment leaves a really smooth natural steel finish when you have a light rust. 

1972V21Cuda

Is there a method for replicating the original mill finish? I'm sure there's a paint that might simulate it to a degree. Any kind of blasting or chemical method? Like most people, I just sanded down the driveshaft without a care about the original finish. Years later, I'm more interested in preserving factory finishes.

FE5CUDA

Quote from: 1972V21Cuda on May 04, 2021, 10:32:28 PM
Is there a method for replicating the original mill finish? I'm sure there's a paint that might simulate it to a degree. Any kind of blasting or chemical method? Like most people, I just sanded down the driveshaft without a care about the original finish. Years later, I'm more interested in preserving factory finishes.

Wipe the shaft down with black oxide, wash it off with hot water and blow dry immediately.  Take 0000 steel wool and polish the complete shaft, much of the black oxide will come off leaving a perfect bare metal finish.  Next, take a propane torch to the top and bottom welds, that will give you the blue type heat finish as it was when made.  You still have to coat the shaft to prevent rust, you can spray on Eastwoods Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust, wipe it off before it dries completely.

Mr Lee

My friend and I just did the inside of his motorcycle gas tank with evaporust.  In 24 hrs it was like new inside.

I'd be really surprised if there was rubber in a driveshaft. I had my driveshaft and upper control arms powder coated flat clear and they look great. 
2k miles on the car and no problems.
Sorry i dont have a better pic at the moment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.