Main Menu

Ever Fill and Smooth in a Cowl Vent?

Started by cudaragtop, February 11, 2017, 07:04:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cudaragtop

Anyone ever eliminate the vent opening in the cowl? Classic Auto Air AC System does not use outside air and blocks it off inside.
I'm thinking of eliminating the grated opening for the vents in the cowl. Smoothed out would look really nice and also eliminate a source for collecting crap or leaks.
Will fill the firewall holes too.

The windshield washer jets would need to be moved but I think I can find late model little black ones like theses and mount them on the cowl.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Cuda Cody

As long as you don't need to get access or air down there I see no reason why you couldn't do it?  The only thing I can think if is if water does seep in there somehow and gets trapped without the airflow it might speed up some rusting?  The trapped water plus the heat from the engine "could" make things worse?  :dunno:  Not really sure about that, but trying to think of anything that could go wrong.  Also, you most likely will not drive the car in the rain a lot and it will still have the normal drains in case water does get trapped in there, so maybe it will be fine.

challenger6pak

Is this for a B or E body? Ebody would need an access for the wiper system.

anlauto

Quote from: challenger6pak on February 11, 2017, 09:50:58 AM
Is this for a B or E body? Ebody would need an access for the wiper system.

I believe he's referring to an "A" Body Barracuda :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cudaragtop

Yep, an A Body Barracuda.

Car won't be parked or driven in the rain. At least not for a while. Not intended to be a daily driver but could be someday...

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

challenger6pak

Yes. I meant A body. A or B should be ok. The wipers are not done like an Ebody. I am considering the same move with a 69 B body I have. My grille section of the cowl is rusted out due to someone sanding the car and leaving the metal bare for years.