Main Menu

Fender to Cowl Bracket?

Started by gzig5, November 27, 2020, 07:54:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

When I removed the fender, I seem to be missing the passenger side fender to cowl bracket on my 73 Cuda.  It is present next to the hinge on the driver side, but I didn't take that fender off, so I don't know what it's purpose is.  The passenger side cowl area was pretty messed up so not surprising it is missing, but I can't find a pic showing how it connects to the fender and my fenders are currently off site.  Is this a part I'm going to need to source? 

JS29

Yes you need it, For support and alignment. It bolts on with ether a stud or bolt.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

The fender should have a stud which fits through the square hole. The bracket control the height of the fender at the cowl to match the hood and door. :alan2cents: I've seen people go with out it, but it's a pretty important piece in my opinion. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Quote from: gzig5 on November 27, 2020, 07:54:55 AM
When I removed the fender, I seem to be missing the passenger side fender to cowl bracket on my 73 Cuda.  It is present next to the hinge on the driver side, but I didn't take that fender off, so I don't know what it's purpose is.  The passenger side cowl area was pretty messed up so not surprising it is missing, but I can't find a pic showing how it connects to the fender and my fenders are currently off site.  Is this a part I'm going to need to source?

That's interesting. My 1970 Challenger was also missing the passenger side bracket. No evidence of it ever being installed.  :notsure:

gzig5

Well this is what I found when I pulled the fender before taking the car in for A-pillar, rocker and floor replacement.  Like I said, not surprised it was missing.  The hole was there but the idiot who did all this "restoration" work couldn't be bothered.   Guess I'll post a WTB and see if one pops up.

Edit to rotate pic. 

Rich G.

I think I have it. What side? I believe there is a right and left if I'm not mistaken.

dodj

Quote from: gzig5 on November 27, 2020, 09:06:33 AM
Well this is what I found when I pulled the fender
Bet your shoulders drooped a bit when you saw that!  :Thud:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gzig5

Quote from: Rich G. on November 27, 2020, 11:59:57 AM
I think I have it. What side? I believe there is a right and left if I'm not mistaken.
I need the passenger side, which I think is the same as the one in the picture I posted. 

gzig5

Quote from: dodj on November 27, 2020, 12:16:46 PM
Quote from: gzig5 on November 27, 2020, 09:06:33 AM
Well this is what I found when I pulled the fender
Bet your shoulders drooped a bit when you saw that!  :Thud:
That is the understatement of the year.  I knew something had happened on that side but they hid it well cosmetically and I didn't have good access to the passenger side or lighting during purchase inspection. lesson learned.  Once the layers got peeled back, it's obvious it was t-boned pretty hard.  It bent/kinked the inner dash structure and the upper windshield surround.  Dash core is all twisted on that side and had to be replaced. Had to replace inner/outer A pillar that the door hinges on, inner outer rockers, and  b-pillar. The dash and roof were pulled back into straight.  The floors and quarter were known, but the other stuff was a rude awakening. There was literally 3/8"-1/2" of epoxy and mud on the rocker to bring it back out to line up with the fender.  Surprisingly the frame rails and cross members seemed to be unaffected.  It set back the budget and schedule but I'm gaining traction now.   Car is solid underneath once more.   Getting the doors and and fenders back on so I can do the quarter panels, trunk drops, and outer wheel housings.

Smallblock340

While I was cleaning my Challenger I noticed that the driver side fender to cowl bracket, incl fender stud, is missing.  :o
I agree with @anlauto and @JS29 that this piece is pretty important for support and alignment. Do I need to remove the outer fender to install the fender to cowl bracket? Or is there a less destructive method available to install this bracket? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  :tool:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

anlauto

With the splash shield off, it's easy to get at. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Smallblock340

Maurice

JS29

@Smallblock340  Splash shield off, long extension and a swivel, will do it.  :yes:   

Smallblock340

Thanks @JS29 ! I will order the bracket and I will give it a try! :tool:
Maurice