Main Menu

Fiberglass Hood (no springs) modern hood struts?

Started by FSHTAIL, October 17, 2022, 12:47:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

With those of you with fiberglass hoods, I know that the go-to method to keep the Boeing from happening is to remove the springs, but has anybody ever thought about using the modern hood struts?   

In a shut position they offer little to no help in raising the hood let alone any pressure to cause any bowing. 

I know our hinges are a little funky, just curious if anybody's tried this.
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Skdmark on October 17, 2022, 05:48:45 PM
Like these?
https://motorator.com/blog/mopar/ringbrothers-1970-1974-mopar-e-body-hood-hinges/#.Y033u9xOnkx

Thats one way to drop $800 bucks     :unbelievable:

Maybe just a simple hood strut added, I could probably just make some adaptors that secures it using a hood bolt and fender bolt..     :dunno:

gzig5

I'm using a smaller diameter spring from a trampoline in place of the OEM spring.  It will hold the hood open without issue but isn't so strong as to cause bowing.  The ones I got are advertised as being 7.5" long and about 1" diameter.  Very inexpensive option to try.  When I put the car back together I am going to look into using gas struts, if nothing else to be a little different. I have a few to play with.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: gzig5 on October 18, 2022, 07:01:28 AM
I'm using a smaller diameter spring from a trampoline in place of the OEM spring.  It will hold the hood open without issue but isn't so strong as to cause bowing.  The ones I got are advertised as being 7.5" long and about 1" diameter.  Very inexpensive option to try.  When I put the car back together I am going to look into using gas struts, if nothing else to be a little different. I have a few to play with.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind..