Main Menu

Firewall hole beside speedometer cable - 1974 Cuda 360 Auto

Started by moparroy, May 21, 2021, 06:05:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

I was working on the body plugs yesterday using a few different references I found on line - probably some here on this forum.

I noticed I seem to have an additional hole in the firewall from any reference I could find - see attached - it is beside what I have seen labelled as the speedometer cable hole - to the outside / drivers side of the speedo cable hole; to the right looking from under the hood per the pic attached. Smaller than the speedo cable hole.

Any idea what this could be for? Guess I should have taken more pics... years ago when I ripped it apart. I thought maybe remote hood release but there is no grommet on that cable and I think it goes through the smaller hole between the mystery hole and the manual washer pump grommet.

Looking at my pic raises another question - how is the clutch rod plug supposed to be installed? from the inside out as I have it here - or is it supposed to be from the engine side in for a cleaner finish look?

anlauto

The clutch rod plug is correct, my guess on the odd hole was going to be hood release as well, if not that, then I say it was added at some point. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Come to think of it - one of the reasons I am sure this was a bracket racer toy is that it had a transmission temperature gauge as well as a copper fluid line for oil pressure gauge on the bottom of the dash. Maybe this hole is where those additions came in ... I don't remember if the trans temp was a fluid line or just a wire - I have the old cooler line somewhere to check though - but that could be. Crap - wish I had noted this while doing the body work I would have welded a plug in it. 
Guess its probably going to get a random plastic body plug at this point... conversation piece LOL

moparroy

Based on this:
https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/remote-hood-latch-cable.12201/
the hole is for the remote hood release - so I need to find a grommet that can work with that cable - basically any rubber grommet I can likely poke a hole into.