Main Menu

Front valence factory marks?

Started by fireguyfire, August 10, 2019, 05:03:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Had the front valence off of my 73 challenger this week and noticed a couple of interesting things.
The back of the valence wasn't body colour (bright red) but looks like red oxide, and I also noticed the remains of a yellow stamp mark on the back.
Is this a factory stamp, and can anyone help me out with what it says?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

I kind of doubt it, but it's possible. The car was originally bright red, and was respirated a bit darker red (poorly) in 1980 as I have a ton of paperwork on the car.
As you can see, where the stainless moulding goes you can see the original bright red underneath, which is the way the whole car is.
I suppose the valence could have been replaced before the 1980 resorts and painted bright red, and then oversprayed in 1980 the darker red.

Burdar

I've seen NOS body parts painted red oxide with part number stamps like that. Maybe it was an NOS part in the 80s. It should be blacked out in the center like the rad support of it was original.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

fireguyfire

The bottom mounting tab where it bolts to the rad support is black it that's what you mean.
Silly question; what does NOD stand for?

cuda hunter

That's a service replacement fender. 

Yellow letters and red oxide is a dead giveaway. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Replacement part sold over the counter at a Chrysler dealer.
Sheldon

JS29

Burdar

QuoteSilly question; what does NOD stand for?

My phone changed NOS to NOD.  I just changed it.

cuda hunter

Quote from: Burdar on August 12, 2019, 05:39:14 AM
QuoteSilly question; what does NOD stand for?

My phone changed NOS to NOD.  I just changed it.

That's funny!  I've been trying to figure out what NOD meant.  Thought I had missed something. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee