Main Menu

gas tank insulation pad

Started by GoMangoBoys, January 31, 2021, 05:37:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Regarding the gas tank insulation pad, is the felt pad or the masticated rubber pad better?

anlauto

The factory used the thick felt  :dunno:  DMT has both I believe, I don't know why.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jim AAR

I used the rubber one instead of the felt, the rubber one will not hold moisture and the felt could.  :alan2cents:

cudaragtop

I wasn't impressed with the "Reproduction" gas tank pad I got and it's probably still somewhere out in my shed...
Instead, I used it as a pattern and cut my own out of a rubber roll I got from Lowes.
They had various size and thickness in the flooring department.

I made Floor Matts with the left over material, I used my nice carpeted Cuda Logo matts as a pattern to cut them out.
I use the rubber matts as my driver matts and the Cuda matts are just for shows or meetups.
At a show, the Carpeted matts lay right on top of the rubber ones and the rubbers ones don't show.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

anlauto

Well, there's some solid opinions right there :twothumbsup:
This is the felt pad from DMT cut ( a little too large....measure twice, cut once sort of deal :crazytalk:) to clear the in tank pump...I thought it was pretty close to the originals.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration