Main Menu

glue removal from vinyl roof without damaging paint

Started by Crash520, February 27, 2017, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crash520

Im taking off my vinyl roof, it was not factory installed per the build sheet but looks factory, I've lifted a couple of the edges and it somewhat looks painted under the vinyl, so Im not sure what is under it, it may not be savable however if it is, what can I use to remove the contact adhesive that wont damage the paint or effect possible future re paint, ive seen people use WD40 and all sorts of petroleum based products but Im a little against the idea

Greg
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Cuda Cody

You might get lucky and the paint might be good under it.  But you still have the trim holes, right? 

At my sign company we take adhesive off cars with this product.

http://www.rapidtac.com/rapid-remover.html

Don't leave it on longer then you have to.  We've never had it ruin any paint, but no reason to take any chances.  I think it's citrus based.  It should work on the glue, but not sure.   :notsure:

lulurocks(Ken)

This :

http://3mcollision.com/3m-adhesive-remover-03618.html

And alot , alot of. 100% cotton rags ,  make sure you do a test spot  (i.e under trunk mat) to make sure it doesnt effect paint .   Soak a rag lay in on the adhesive( helps minimize drool to other areas)  for couple min the elbow grease to rub it off with dry rag, keep flipping the rag..  Once its gummed up toss it .    The 3m and   Goof off brand are usally  non aggresive .   Again test the crap out of anything you use in an inconspicuous area...

Dont use and. Power tool mounted. Devices , they are paint burning machines,

RUNCHARGER

I used lacquer thinner last year (3 times). Same technique, soak it, wipe it off with a rag turning it often. Good luck with it, glad it isn't me.
Sheldon

screamindriver

I'd be all for trying that citrus based cleaner the 3M adhesive remover get old quick with the gloves and fumes...Not being original might work in your favor 40+ year old glue is usually rock hard and terrible to deal with...Keep us posted on how the process is going...

Crash520

Thank so guys, a peak around the edges shows signs of paint, the rear stainless trim around the bottom of the back window has its clips held on with small screws, I don't know who or when it was installed, it damn near looks original!!, I did lift up the section below the rear window and found red primer, see pic below so who knows!!
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Burdar

When my vinyl top was installed, they were a little sloppy with the glue.  I had a good section of the A-pillar that had excess glue on it that needed to be removed.  I used 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover #08984.  It works great and doesn't touch the paint.  The can will last you a very long time.