Main Menu

Go-Wing Spoiler Stud Measurements

Started by cataclysm80, February 07, 2017, 02:54:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

:popcorn:  Good eye!  Now I'm going to keep my eye open for this.   :takealook:

Quote from: cataclysm80 on February 10, 2017, 09:56:23 PM
Here's what's going on...
I've found some 1970 Challenger trunk lids which seem to have a provision for the J81 Go-Wing spoiler, but it's mounted further back on the trunk lid, on the part that slopes downward.
I've found 4 cars with this trunk lid so far, but I only have an SPD for one of them, and it's August 25th 1969.
This seems to be an early version of the J81 Spoiler trunk lid, predating the version with the reinforcement brackets which we usually see.

The 4 trunk lids I've seen like this so far, did Not have a spoiler installed, they just have these cutouts where the spoiler would go.

Here is a comparison picture showing the normal position for the J81 holes on a reproduction trunk lid at the top,
and the rare trunk lid with the more rearward J81 mounting holes on the bottom.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Has anyone seen a trunk lid like this with a Go-Wing Spoiler installed on it?
any ideas on why the mounting location was changed and reinforcement brackets were added?

'Cuda's had a more rearward mounting spoiler in 70, and it was moved forward in 71.  Perhaps this was also the original intention for Challengers?

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 10, 2017, 10:28:15 PM
where does a luggage rack mount?

Here you go, I labeled the holes to make it easier for everyone to see.

The two forward most mounting locations for the luggage rack don't require cutouts on the underside of the lid, but I marked the location anyway.

cataclysm80

Here's what I have so far regarding Challenger deck lid variations.
I'm still working on collecting Scheduled Production Dates.

The notes on the picture mention what options the trunk lid was designed to have installed on it, but that doesn't mean those options were available on every car which used that trunk lid.    For example, No Gull Wing spoilers in 1970, and No T/A spoilers in 1971.  I'm not sure if a luggage rack was available on 72-74 cars, but the trunk lid did have provisions for it.  etc.

I'd be interested in hearing about early production Go-Wing spoiler cars. 
What is the earliest known?